Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: is this normal?  (Read 5286 times)

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
Re: is this normal?
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2012, 03:05:08 pm »
Is the hydrometer completely submerged? if not, add more liquid until either the hydrometer is completely submerged (Broken Hydrometer) or the hydrometer begins to float (dry beer). It is possible that the beer is just drier than your normal beers, and so it sunk a bit further than normal.

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2012, 03:13:48 pm »
I have brewed an red ale, milk stout, and American wheat, would a dunkelweizen be drier than those?
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2012, 03:20:29 pm »
Also if I fill my current tube any higher the beer will overflow and thus be about the same level as i currently use.
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2012, 03:22:09 pm »
I have brewed an red ale, milk stout, and American wheat, would a dunkelweizen be drier than those?

Shouldn't be.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2012, 03:23:54 pm »
Also if I fill my current tube any higher the beer will overflow and thus be about the same level as i currently use.
So when you have the tube full of, say, water, where does your hydrometer read?  Is it still reading zero?  If so and it reads less than that in the beer sample, then that's one very dry beer.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2012, 03:25:09 pm »
that was my initial thought as well, i think i will try another sample today, then if i have same result as before i will racked the beer and let it settle for a day or two then remeasure.

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2012, 04:05:23 pm »
So I had time to remeasure and i only siphoned out about 90ml and it floated this time. the gravity was about 1.10. which lower that expected but then my O.G. was lower than expected as well. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2012, 04:07:06 pm »
That's good to hear.

-Sent from the future.
Intra cervisiam est deus.