Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: is this normal?  (Read 5292 times)

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
is this normal?
« on: May 16, 2012, 06:30:56 pm »
So I recently made a Dunkelweizen extract 3gal batch. I used Safale WB-06 pitched at 68-70F, and the beer has been fermenting since 4/27 at 61-62F. I pitched the whole packet of yeast. I was just curious if it normal for the primary fermentation to take this long. I was planing of racking to secondary fermenter so i could start another beer. The krausen was great early.

* the O.G. was 1.043

“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline bigchicken

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lincoln, NE
Re: is this normal?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 09:16:58 pm »
Make sure to take a hydrometer reading regardless of what it looks like. You may just have a layer of junk material sitting on top of finished beer. I have a 3 week old dark wheat experiment that looks similar. Its done fermenting, but I'm letting it sit to help it settle out.
TJ Cook

On Deck: Planning
Fermenting: Nothing
In bottles: It's All About MEAD!

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 09:18:41 pm »
What is the gravity at now?
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 09:57:29 pm »
I have not taken one yet, i was planing waiting to rack eventually. I was just surprised that there as still some active fermentation after an extended period of time
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 05:09:44 am »
That's been almost three weeks.  At the low O.G. it was probably finished in the first few days, but giving it the extra time certainly didn't hurt. 
Some types of yeast leave a lot of stuff floating on the top.  It doesn't mean it is actively fermenting just because is hasn't fallen to the bottom.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 05:26:03 am »
weissbier strains in particular are very low flocculating and can have a yeast krausen floating on top a good time after fermentation is finished. That's what makes them "top cropping". Take a gravity reading.

Offline mmitchem

• Brewer
  • Suffolk, VA
    • http://www.barfclub.org
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 05:36:14 am »
+1 for gravity reading. The gravity reading will be the true indicator of whether you fermentation is where it needs to be. Let the numbers tell you what is going on with the beer :)
Michael P Mitchem
Beer and Ale Research Foundation (B.A.R.F.)
AHA Member since 2011

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 07:36:51 am »
weissbier strains in particular are very low flocculating and can have a yeast krausen floating on top a good time after fermentation is finished. That's what makes them "top cropping". Take a gravity reading.

This.

Although I have no personal experience with the strain you mentioned.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 01:04:59 pm »
So I attempted to get a gravity reading with my hydrometer, however, it would not float. So i have no idea the actual gravity. So i rack the beer to secondary to remove the trub and stuff and then wait a couple to days for the beer to clear up and then take another reading? I think i may also be going shopping for a refractometer, anybody know a good brand for cheapish?

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 01:24:09 pm »
Is your hydrometer cracked?  Is there liquid inside?  I've never seen one that wouldn't float.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 01:29:42 pm »
So I attempted to get a gravity reading with my hydrometer, however, it would not float. So i have no idea the actual gravity. So i rack the beer to secondary to remove the trub and stuff and then wait a couple to days for the beer to clear up and then take another reading? I think i may also be going shopping for a refractometer, anybody know a good brand for cheapish?

How did you try to get the reading?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 01:39:58 pm »
I used a wine thief to collect about 100ml of liquid, put in the hydrometer case (like every other reading i have taken). I spun the hydrometer a couple times to remove any O2. then released it and it sank, didn't float i repeated these steps a couple of times but with no luck.

Offline BP79

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 02:13:21 pm »
I think i may also be going shopping for a refractometer, anybody know a good brand for cheapish?

Check out http://seanterrill.com/, read up on his work related to FG/OG, re-read it again, then check out ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RSG-100ATC-Brix-Beer-Sugar-Wine-Wort-SG-0-32-ATC-Refractometer-blue-rubber-/300618823944?pt=BI_Cellular_Optical_Television_Test_Equipment&hash=item45fe473908

I've only used this one once so far but it's really simple to use.  No more broken hydrometers for me.

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 02:28:18 pm »
I used a wine thief to collect about 100ml of liquid, put in the hydrometer case (like every other reading i have taken). I spun the hydrometer a couple times to remove any O2. then released it and it sank, didn't float i repeated these steps a couple of times but with no luck.

My hydrometer will not float in 100ml, put in enough liquid until it floats. You can do this with the hydrometer in its case, you spin it to remove the bubbles that cling to the surface around the hydrometer so you can see the reading. Save your money for another fermentor.

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2012, 02:58:55 pm »
I have always used 100ml to measure, my hydrometer usually wont float w/o that amount. In fact just 2 days i used it check my F.G. on my American Wheat with no issues, thus why i'm confused now why it wont float?