Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: cajun brisket  (Read 3567 times)

Offline loopy

• Brewer
cajun brisket
« on: March 14, 2010, 05:31:23 pm »
Hey guys, thought I would swing in and post a quick note about a brisket I did this weekend.  Started it marinating on Friday morning before work, on the pit saturday about 5pm, and ready for the table about 9:30 this Sunday morning. 

Its a half brisket actually, about 8 pounds, but it has the point and the flat.  I cut a deep slit in the meat to add some stuffing.  stuffing a brisket?  you bet.   In a big pot I made a roux, oil/water/flour/cajun seasoning, in the blender I mixed up a big yellow onion and three bell peppers, tossed in some slap ya momma hot spices and a touch of cayenne.  Then packed the brisket cavity with it.

The brisket was rubbed in a mostly traditional texas rub, onion powder, garlic power, lots of paprika, salt & pepper,  some cayenne, a little crown royal and olive oil served as the dry rub "glue".   

pay no attention to the bottles behind the meat, thats just peach margarita making goings on...

On the pit at 225, over oak. 

after 5 hours of smoke, I wrapped in alumn foil, dumped a beer and one huge chunk of onion inside the pouch, stowed up the fire loaded some more oak and forgot about it until I got up this morning.

paired with bbq beans that shared some smoke with it, some slaw, and some cold cold shiner blonde ale.

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
Re: cajun brisket
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 05:37:45 pm »
Wow, just wow. Droool.

I knew you couldnt stay away for long.

Besides we need you here.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 06:24:09 pm »
Very nice, very nice!

I just got done slicing up nearly 18lbs of smoked corned beef brisket (done as a pastrami style).  Glad I bought the meat slicer but man is it a bear to clean.  But I have a freezer well stocked with sandwich meat, between that and the cured pork loin I did.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 08:59:45 pm »
That looks fantastic. My mouth is watering. Brisket season is upon us!
Ron Price

Offline Beertracker

• Brewer
  • ExperiFermenting since 1994!
    • Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 09:30:46 am »
Looks yummy loopy!  :P
CHEERS! Jeff
"A homebrewed beer is truly a superior beer." ~ "Buffalo" Bill Owens - American Brewer

Jeffrey Swearengin
Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
Tulsa, OK USA

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 01:56:21 pm »
Ahhh yes, smokin' season is upon us.  Ribs, Brisket, ham, etc....  MMMMMMMM! Those pics look soooo good!!!  Thanks for sharing Loopy!!! :)
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline mikeypedersen

• Brewer
  • Longmont, CO
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 02:03:23 pm »
Wow, I forgot my lunch today and am trying to scavenge food anywhere I can today......Then I see this post.  My mouth is watering, big time!   :'(