Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mixing Lager Yeasts - Pros and Cons  (Read 12416 times)

Offline mmitchem

• Brewer
  • Suffolk, VA
    • http://www.barfclub.org
Mixing Lager Yeasts - Pros and Cons
« on: May 17, 2012, 09:16:35 pm »
I have read alot about people mixing lager and ale yeasts together to get the best of both worlds. I have also read that in most cases a dominant yeast will usually lend the most character to the beer.
With that being said, I am conducting an experiment mixing two lager yeasts together. I threw 2 vials into my flask to make a starter - 1 vial WLP833 (German Bock) and 1 vial WLP838 (Southern German Lager). They both look pretty close when complared on White Labs yeast charts. I know that the WLP838 tends to drop out of the beer pretty fast making it pretty clean. The WLP833 tends to be slightly more 'dusty' and doesnt drop out as fast. Other than that - I would say they are pretty close in most respects with the obvious flavor differences.
I really like these two yeasts - alot! Hence the experiment at hand. I pitched the big starter onto an Oktoberfest I like to brew.
Has anyone done this before? What was the outcome? Thanks in advance :)
Michael P Mitchem
Beer and Ale Research Foundation (B.A.R.F.)
AHA Member since 2011

Offline mmitchem

• Brewer
  • Suffolk, VA
Re: Mixing Lager Yeasts - Pros and Cons
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 09:32:36 am »
Nobody touching this with a 10 foot pole huh? :)
Michael P Mitchem
AHA Member since 2011

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 10:35:22 am »
well, since you asked....my first thought is "why?"  What do you expect to get out if this? My own experience with pitching 2 yeasts at once is that one dominates and you can't tell the other is there.  I've had the best success by pitching each into its own batch and then blending post fermentation.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mmitchem

• Brewer
  • Suffolk, VA
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 10:53:14 am »
I think my initial thought was "Why Not?" Just to experiment since the yeasts have many similarities. I am not sure what to expect...and I think that is part of the fun. I have also had great success with both of these yeasts individually, then blended. It might be a huge failure, but there is a chance of success. Besides, if it is gross, it only cost me 5 gallons and a little time.
Could be fun, right?
Michael P Mitchem
AHA Member since 2011

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 11:17:23 am »
I really doubt it will be "gross" or a "huge failure".  I just don't think there's anything to be gained.  Other than saying you did it!  ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 11:30:28 am »
Normally when you blend yeast you are going for the flavor characteristics of one and the attenuation of the other.

Offline mmitchem

• Brewer
  • Suffolk, VA
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 11:44:20 am »
Denny & Major, I hear ya. There might be nothing to gain in the end at all. Ehhh, saying that I did it...that doesnt matter either I suppose. I do really like the feedback though. It is always appreciated when seasoned veterans are approachable and active in this community. Cheers to that for sure! Once again - thanks for the replies. It is about a week into fermentation @ 48 degrees, in a couple of weeks I will know the outcome. 
Michael P Mitchem
AHA Member since 2011

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 12:04:30 pm »
For the Bo-Pils I make we use the PU "D" strain on 5 gallons and the "H" strain on 5 gallons. Blend after they are done. This is what PU used to do, now they use one strain.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 02:00:16 pm »
FWIW, I like both of those strains, especially 838 in an Oktoberfest Marzen.  I have no idea on whether they will "mate" as you proceed with generations going forward, but I would make a few batches to see!  Sounds like an experiment to me... I wish you good luck.

Cheers to trying something.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 02:14:31 pm »
Denny & Major, I hear ya. There might be nothing to gain in the end at all. Ehhh, saying that I did it...that doesnt matter either I suppose. I do really like the feedback though. It is always appreciated when seasoned veterans are approachable and active in this community. Cheers to that for sure! Once again - thanks for the replies. It is about a week into fermentation @ 48 degrees, in a couple of weeks I will know the outcome.

are you saying Denny and Major are old? well, Denny, okay I'll give you Denny but Major still has lots of life in him.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline mmitchem

• Brewer
  • Suffolk, VA
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 02:22:47 pm »
are you saying Denny and Major are old? well, Denny, okay I'll give you Denny but Major still has lots of life in him.
Haha, they are both pretty knowledgable either way. As for the age thing - it always tends to be in ones mind ;)
Michael P Mitchem
AHA Member since 2011

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 03:46:06 pm »

+1

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 04:01:13 pm »

I thought it meant they were covered with salt & pepper... :)
Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Offline mmitchem

• Brewer
  • Suffolk, VA
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2012, 04:03:43 pm »
Haha, back to the light-hearted forum we all know and love.
Michael P Mitchem
AHA Member since 2011

Offline mmitchem

• Brewer
  • Suffolk, VA
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2012, 04:34:08 pm »
So I guess what I am taking is that this could go both ways. Either one yeast will dominate or they might marry up and be a fine yeast. I am also taking away that Denny is old and Major is full of life...and also that both might be covered in salt and pepper.  :P
Time will tell. At any rate it is Friday night, so it is time to eat pizza and drink beer with my wife. Throw more feedback if ya got it. Thanks :)
Michael P Mitchem
AHA Member since 2011