Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Maibock Fermentation Schedule?  (Read 6024 times)

Offline FirstStateBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Delaware
    • First State Brewers
Maibock Fermentation Schedule?
« on: May 18, 2012, 08:30:31 am »
I'm brewing a Maibock this weekend.  Now that I've build a fermentation chamber, I want to try to keep to a good fermentation temperature schedule with this batch. 

I'm using White Labs WLP838 Southern German Lager yeast.  Estimated O.G. of 1.070.  I've done some searches, but am having trouble finding a consensus on how I should ferment. 

What temp should I pitch at?  How long and at what temp should I primary it?  When should I do diacetyl rest?  What temp and for how long?  Temp and length of lagering?  How quick do I lower the temp?  And so on...

Yes, I know I am asking for a lot, but what's a brewing forum for?  LOL!
Scott B

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
Re: Maibock Fermentation Schedule?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 08:37:17 am »
I am going to describe the Narziss method, which is how I do all my lagers.

Cool to 44-46 and pitch at these temps( if you cant get it that cold with your chiller, then put it in your fermentation chamber and let it cool down to this temp, its ok if you have to wait overnight or whatever, just make sure your santization is good).

Let the temp rise to 48-50 and ferment there. Make sure you pitch a big healthy starter. Possibly even a 2 stage starter if you only have 1 package of yeast.

If you pitch the right amount of clean healthy yeast, and pitch cool(44-46) you dont need a D-rest, you dont need to lower the temp slowly to lager or any of that stuff.

Cool to 44-46
Ferment 48-50 2-3 weeks primary, no secondary necessary.
Crash cool the primary to 32-34 if you can a day or 2 prior to kegging.
Lager in the keg @ 32-24 for about 2-3 months Id say for a 1.070 Maibock.

EDIT: This is the method Jamil describes in Brewing CLassic Styles. D-rests and slowly lowering the temps are like saying you should secondary every beer imo. It was more geared toward a time when people would pitch unhealthy yeast at warm temperatures and then lower the temperature to lager ferment temps creating a lot of byproducts and diacetyl. Pitching enough yeast at cool temps and allowing to warm to its temp eliminates the need for both of those things.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 08:39:50 am by jmcamerlengo »
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline FirstStateBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Delaware
    • First State Brewers
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 08:44:27 am »
Thanks!  Oh btw, do you think WLP838 is an appropriate yeast for a Maibock?
Scott B

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 08:47:14 am »

Absolutely appropriate. My personal preference is The Bock lager strain, I use it in most of my lagers.

Also, checked mrmalty. It says 7L starter for 1 liquid yeast package. So I would do a step starter. 2L, decant then pitch that into a 5L starter.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 08:54:56 am »
There are many ways to do it, Kai has them outlined on his site.

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?action=post;topic=12198.0;last_msg=153114

Taste your beer, you don't need a D-rest if there is not Diacetyl.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline FirstStateBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Delaware
    • First State Brewers
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 08:56:19 am »

Absolutely appropriate. My personal preference is The Bock lager strain, I use it in most of my lagers.

Also, checked mrmalty. It says 7L starter for 1 liquid yeast package. So I would do a step starter. 2L, decant then pitch that into a 5L starter.
I will give that a try!  Thanks!
Scott B