Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cinammon Stick in Secondary Fermentation  (Read 7510 times)

Offline sissa

• 1st Kit
Cinammon Stick in Secondary Fermentation
« on: May 15, 2012, 08:54:38 am »
All,

So I just brewed a porter this past weekend (with chili and vanilla essence for the curious ;)) and am wanting to add cocoa nibs and a cinnamon stick. So here are some of my questions:

1. While I'm asking, figured I'd ask is 2oz of cocoa nibs generally too little or just right for a 5 gallon batch? And if I wanted to go real chocolatey would 4oz even be better? Just not quite sure what others experiences have been?

2. The real concern is the cinnamon stick. Initial research shows an anti-fungal property which could kill the yeast and considering I need yeast in the bottling stage, I was concerned a bit. Should I perhaps just add it a few days before bottling, what have you guys experienced with cinnamon sticks if you've used it? Or can I add it to secondary for 3 weeks without too much concern?

Thank you guys in advance.

Sincerely,
Salah

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Cinammon Stick in Secondary Fermentation
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 09:12:02 am »
My friend fermented 5G of apple cider with a pound - yes, a pound - of cinnamon sticks. Not smart, but it did not stop fermentation either.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 10:04:58 am »
I've used them in the past (not a pound of them, though) with no issues.  Maybe up to three of four cinnamon sticks in the secondary, but I don't recall accurately.

I think if you wait until just a few days before bottling you won't extract much of the flavor you want.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline sissa

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 10:14:35 am »
Super, thanks for the response guys. What I'll do is start with a single stick at the beginning of the 3 weeks and once it's done self-carbonating in the bottle (and provided my first personal recipe works out), I'll be back here to update once more :).

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 10:26:37 am »
Just another thought. I make an extract out of cinnamon sticks and add it at kegging.

Just break up a few sticks and throw em in a mason jar with some vodka to cover. Leave it sit for a week or 2 then add it at kegging....for your case they make chocolate vodka nowadays, that may add some extra chocolate flavor? I use whipped cream vodka in my pumpkin ale and its fantastic!
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline kraftwerk

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 11:06:09 pm »
The winner of an annual homebrewers competition at Dry Dock/Brewhut in Aurora, CO got to brew his graham cracker porter on the big system. It ended up tasting like a cinnamon candle from Bed Bath and Beyond. That being said, I'm sure it can be done well. I'd personally go light on the cinnamon.

Also, good call on the cocoa nibs. My buddy brewed a biere de garde and racked on cocoa nibs a couple years ago. Still the best home brew I have ever tried to this day!
Beer is like music. I don't have a favorite. I'll take a well-made example of any style!

Offline bigchicken

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lincoln, NE
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 12:06:29 pm »
Don't bother with adding cinnamon to a secondary. I add at flameout with great luck. No concern of contamination then.
TJ Cook

On Deck: Planning
Fermenting: Nothing
In bottles: It's All About MEAD!