Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Police in Chicago bust NATO protestors homebrewing  (Read 5392 times)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Police in Chicago bust NATO protestors homebrewing
« on: May 18, 2012, 10:13:59 am »
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/natosummit/chi-bridgeport-arrests-molotov-cocktails-or-brewing-equipment-20120518,0,2015209.story

Wonderful.  Bottles and caps.  Homebrewing?  Or making molotov cocktails?

We have some serious crazy going on in Chicago this weekend.  I'm staying home.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: Police in Chicago bust NATO protestors homebrewing
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 10:21:51 am »
*sigh*

Keep the thread polite...
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 10:52:39 am »
Being in the Chicago area, a friend called me this morning to alert me to the story and to caution that I may be next!  Thankfully, I am out of town Saturday, but I am brewing Sunday regardless! 

I am reminded of the quote from the late Mayor Richard J. Daley, who said during the 1968 riots at the Democratic National Convention: "the police aren't there to create disorder, they are there to maintain it."

;D
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 11:13:02 am »
And this surprises you? It's Chicago. :D

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 11:30:01 am »

dear cops,

I will be brewing beer on Saturday morning, which will explain the brewing equipment.  Do not be alarmed as there will also be bottles, caps, and capping equipment on the premises....however, I expect that we will be removing more alcohol (in the form of beer) from bottles on this day than we put into them.  If you stop by, you are welcome to sample some, no warrant necessary.  However, since this is home brewed beer, a combination of federal, state, and local law along with established tasting room norms and practices prohibits me from allowing you to remove any beer or equipment from my brewery without my express consent or that of a judge.  You may only obtain my consent based on your behaviour and only if you bring your own container....I can't vouch for the judge, but bring him along too.
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 11:36:22 am »
As I am going out to the garage with bottles and caps to package beers from the Keezer I look over and see the mower and gas can.  Look down the drive, no police in sight. RDWHAHB.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 11:58:30 am »
I just took the deposit cans and bottles out to the garage.  Let's see, 10 empty wine bottles.  5 gallons of gasoline.  A bag of old t-shirts I use as grease rags.  One butane grill lighter.  On top of that 12 cases of empty beer bottles downstairs in the shop.  Even more shop towels!!

Yep.  I'm going to jail.  Damn the lawn!

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 12:21:50 pm »
This thread is really more appropriate to the pub area.

Anyway, as far as I can tell, in a nutshell- the new "laws" are that if you are "suspected of being a terrorist" the Constitution no longer applies and you can be detained without warrant or charges indefinitely. I think this is why the Chicago police were able to act so shamefully.

Better shave those beards homebrewers. It might land you in "detention" some day.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Police in Chicago bust NATO protestors homebrewing
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 12:26:00 pm »
I agree, euge.  I'll move it later unless one of the the mods does it first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 12:40:35 pm »
Kinda reminds me of a story about 15 years ago when the FBI were following homebrewers home after visiting Brew and Grow/Chicago Indoor Garden Supply b/c they suspected the homebrewers of buying grow lights for the funny stuff.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 12:44:55 pm »
Yes.  IIRC they had a camera up on a light pole, too.

I used to only pay in cash there specifically because of that.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 01:39:53 pm »
I guess I've been lucky enough to never experience the whole neighbor-sees-wort-chiller-and-calls-cops thing.

gotten plenty of suspicion because of light from my reef tanks though...

cheers--
--Michael 

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 02:11:00 pm »
I guess I've been lucky enough to never experience the whole neighbor-sees-wort-chiller-and-calls-cops thing.

gotten plenty of suspicion because of light from my reef tanks though...

cheers--
--Michael

cops used to stop by about once a month to check out my 600 watt metal halide that was growing my salad during the long vermont winters. They liked to claim they were checking on a complaint against the neighbors which was somewhat ironic because we were the only house within shouting distance of the neighbors and we never complained.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2012, 01:41:41 pm »
cops used to stop by about once a month to check out my 600 watt metal halide that was growing my salad during the long vermont winters.

I get that cops don't get to pick and choose which laws they enforce, though District Attorneys do have some say in which cases they choose to prosecute. In Denver, there were issues after the City of Denver legalized small amounts of pot, but the city's prosecutors still chose to prosecute city residents under state law, instead of punting to the state's attorney's to make them either deal with it, or ignore it. 

Even if you were growing pot, I'm sure you're not the scariest person in Vermont, and I'm also pretty sure those cops could've been doing something more productive with their time.

I don't care for pot myself, but it's pretty low on my list of "menacing things" somewhere between butterflies and nervous dogs.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2012, 02:21:58 pm »
cops used to stop by about once a month to check out my 600 watt metal halide that was growing my salad during the long vermont winters.

I get that cops don't get to pick and choose which laws they enforce, though District Attorneys do have some say in which cases they choose to prosecute. In Denver, there were issues after the City of Denver legalized small amounts of pot, but the city's prosecutors still chose to prosecute city residents under state law, instead of punting to the state's attorney's to make them either deal with it, or ignore it. 

Even if you were growing pot, I'm sure you're not the scariest person in Vermont, and I'm also pretty sure those cops could've been doing something more productive with their time.

I don't care for pot myself, but it's pretty low on my list of "menacing things" somewhere between butterflies and nervous dogs.

You've obviously never been bitten by a butterfly.