Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: the bare essentials  (Read 4906 times)

Offline makemehoppy

• Cellarman
Re: the bare essentials
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2010, 06:51:06 am »
like a jerk, i didn't have a gravity sample thief, so i was sanitizing and using my auto-siphon to collect 9oz of green beer.  once i bought it, i never looked back!
I used to always use a thief and then one day I realized I could just fill a hydro sample tube with a couple pumps of the autosiphon before I connected the tubing. One less thing to sanitize now.
I still have my original autosiphon from the true brew kits I bought over 3 years ago, great tool

Offline roffenburger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2010, 12:02:57 pm »
I have an autosiphon, but when I need to take a gravity reading, I just sanitize my hose and start it by mouth.

I have become quite fond of my new stainless steel mash paddle (bro in law made it for me for Christmas), homemade temperature controller, and lollipop thermometer.
Travis R.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2010, 10:41:16 am »
what are some tools you cannot brew without and you are thankful the day you bought it.  mine would have to be my sanitizer injecter

For brewing as I do now, not as I began:

Natural Gas ring burners. Never ever ever run out of gas.
Appropriately sized brew kettle (80qt)
Wort chiller (self-built).
Accurate thermometer (super-fast Thermapen).

There are other important tools and equipment but none so much as the aforementioned.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis