Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My new system.......  (Read 2641 times)

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
My new system.......
« on: May 21, 2012, 01:01:28 pm »
Well no not really, but I had to pick a forum to put this story. Yesterday I had the honor and privilege to help with a brew at this place:

http://deprael.nl/

Sorry it's in Dutch. It's a micro brewery, with tasting room, food and live music. It's a cool place in that it offers employment opportunity to people that are recovering from, and dealing with psychiatric problems. There are over 100 employees. The head brewer is a psychiatric nurse. (how's that for a job description). Health care pays for part of the occupational therapy, beer sales does the rest. It's a NFP and is holding it's own quite nicely. (My wife thought I would fit right in..... that's a joke, I'm not making light of people with real mental health issues.) Anywho this is the brew setup....

A half a million dollar stainless steel German precision artwork. Whirlpool, plate chiller (the mother of all) and fermentation vessels all down stairs. Grain loft up, you can see the balcony where there's a chute to drop the grains into the BK.

We made 275 gallons of Russian Imperial Stout. (that's a lot of 50 pound bags bags of wet grain to get rid of at the end of the day.....)

I found a lot of inspiration for my "ultimate system" and also a lot of questions about process that I will pose in the appropriate sections of this forum.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: My new system.......
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 01:31:31 pm »
Wow, very futuristic looking!  I recently brewed a 15 bbl. batch at one of Rogue's locations.  I'm struck by how much different the Dutch system looks from what I brewed on.  And I know what you mean about getting rid of the spent grain!

For comparison....

Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline FirstStateBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Delaware
    • First State Brewers
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 01:51:53 pm »
See there!  The Dutch have a different perspective on things.  I've always thought it wise for people with mental health issues to REFRAIN from consuming alcohol.  Who knew?
Scott B

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 02:30:34 pm »
Well, they're making it and serving it, and food etc. They're not necessarily consuming it. Many are on meds that do not allow alcohol consumption. And, the people running the place are healthcare professionals, so any episodes are properly addressed. None of these issues are easy, but I found this a very positive environment. Oh, it's in the middle of the red light district, but as you said, the Dutch deal with these things differently....it's not an issue. If you don't like it, don't look at it.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....