Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kronenbourg 1664 Clone  (Read 19122 times)

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Kronenbourg 1664 Clone
« on: May 21, 2012, 08:07:36 am »
I'm trying to clone this for a neighbor, but have not found much online.  Here is what I've come up with.  Any advice would be much appreciated.

7#  Floor Malted BoPils
1#  Flaked Rice
.5# Light Munich Malt
3oz Acidulated Malt

2oz Strisselspalt 2.3% at 60 mins
2oz at 30 mins
2oz at 10 mins

1lb Honey at 10 mins

Mash at 150 for 60 minutes

Wyeast 2308 Munich Lager

Thoughts?

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
Re: Kronenbourg 1664 Clone
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 03:04:11 am »
I would use Belgian Pils, way less aroma hops (maybe 1 oz at 30 and a half oz at 10), magnum or hop extract at 90 for most of the IBUs, 100% pils (with a little acid or acid malt), and the more-common Bohemian Lager yeast. If you're sure there's rice in it, add that, too.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 03:55:01 am »
Not trying to be a jerk or anything, but living in France, l'origine de Kro, for the Love Of God Why???

"Seize" (pronounced 'says') as it's called here is without a doubt the. worst. beer. I. have. ever. tasted.

To be constructive, if you really want to clone it, you're going to need to amp up the acetylaldehyde and make sure it's got either skunk (sold in green bottles) or a strong chemical bite. I am not 100% sure but I believe Kro does the 'fermented under pressure' thing to speed up fermentation from what would normally take ~2 weeks to less than three days.

The recipe you've got there looks like it would make a tasty beer, but if you really want to clone 1664, you might as well try to clone Olde English.

If what your neighbor wants is a drinkable light lager, brew a cream ale or CAP, which will have much more 'interest' to it. That's my opinion anyway.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 05:39:36 am »
OOOH LA LA! 

Apparently he spent a summer there when in college and that is what they drank.  I bought a case the other weekend and thought it was decent for a light lager.  I could really make out the honey and Strisselspalt hops.  Maybe they keep the crap for the locals to make them stick to wine?   ;D

I like the looks of the recipe too except for the late hop additions as Skylar pointed out.  I do have some 2124 that a BoPils is sitting on.  It's fermented out and ready to be kegged, so I may just use it.  I just bought a bag of the FM BoPils so I'm just going with that for the grain bill.

Funny you just call it "16".  What French beer would you recommend to clone/drink yourself?

Or is that why you homebrew!!   ;D

Dave

Dave Zach

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 08:00:08 am »
Apparently he spent a summer there when in college and that is what they drank.

That sounds about right.

Maybe they keep the crap for the locals to make them stick to wine?   ;D.

You laugh, but sometimes I wonder if it's not the case!

Funny you just call it "16".  What French beer would you recommend to clone/drink yourself?

Or is that why you homebrew!!   ;D

Dave

Hrm. Well, Craig Allen, a scottish-married-to-french-lady brewer friend of mine, brews a beer called Cuvée d’Oscar - http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/cuvee-doscar/146593 It's basically a Nelson Sauvin dry-hopped dunkelweizen.

One thing to keep in mind is that 'french' saisons are actually not French, but rather from French Flanders (in Belgium, where theoman lives).

I'm afraid that as far as mass-produced beer there's not much home-grown that's interesting... Yet. :-)
----

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 08:34:51 am »
LOL!  Thanks for the link and best of luck educating our French friends on good beer!

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 09:25:01 am »
LOL!  Thanks for the link and best of luck educating our French friends on good beer!

Dave

With plans to open the first canning brewery in France, I'll need it.
----

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 09:02:56 pm »
Flanders is the Dutch-speaking (or Flemish, if you will) region of Belgium. Wallonia (or Walloon) is the French-speaking region. French Flanders, oddly, is the northernmost region of France, which borders Belgium. The capitol is Lille, and Lille has some great breweries, including Fantome, which makes some great saisons.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 02:22:10 am »
Flanders is the Dutch-speaking (or Flemish, if you will) region of Belgium. Wallonia (or Walloon) is the French-speaking region. French Flanders, oddly, is the northernmost region of France, which borders Belgium. The capitol is Lille, and Lille has some great breweries, including Fantome, which makes some great saisons.

We can say thank you to 600 years of wars for all this confusing territory. And thanks to you for the clarification!
----

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 05:34:37 am »
We went with the recipe as is except I subbed in the 2124 for the 2308.  It's bubbling away with a nice thick Krausen at 50F.  Phil, I'll try to remember to post whether it came out like Kro or the much better Clonenbourg.  I have some high hopes for this beer.  The Strisselspalt smelled great in the boil!

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 06:38:59 am »
We went with the recipe as is except I subbed in the 2124 for the 2308.  It's bubbling away with a nice thick Krausen at 50F.  Phil, I'll try to remember to post whether it came out like Kro or the much better Clonenbourg.  I have some high hopes for this beer.  The Strisselspalt smelled great in the boil!

Dave

Clonenbourg! I love it.
----

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2012, 03:05:54 am »

You're almost right. There are some very good French Flanders breweries, but Fantome isn't one of them. Fantome is in Belgium and nowhere near Lille.

Dave, good luck on the beer. Here's hoping it's nothing like 1664 (I agree entirely with Phil)!

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 09:50:58 am »
I agree that Kronenbourg in the bottle is awful, but a bar (in Montana!) had this on tap a while ago and I thought it was quite nice.  I could really pick out the Strisselspalt.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 10:38:00 am »
I agree that Kronenbourg in the bottle is awful, but a bar (in Montana!) had this on tap a while ago and I thought it was quite nice.  I could really pick out the Strisselspalt.

It blows my mind that Kro is available in Montana.
----

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012, 12:38:06 am »
There are some very good French Flanders breweries, but Fantome isn't one of them. Fantome is in Belgium and nowhere near Lille.

I stand corrected. I wonder why I thought that brewery was in Lille?