Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Why boother with the iodine test?  (Read 8357 times)

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
Re: Why boother with the iodine test?
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2012, 07:52:25 am »
I dont do them at all either. Ill check the first runnings the first I brew a beer then after that its the eye test, and assuming my results will be predictable on future batches, which thankfully on a brutus system is an easier assumption to make.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline hubie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2012, 10:49:12 am »
I just want a way of knowing when the mash really was done.

You'll have to define your "done" criteria.  Like many reactions in nature, I suspect that you don't get to 100-percent conversion linearly, but approach it asymptoticly: 60 minutes to get to 90% conversion, another 60 minutes to get 99.9% conversion, another 60 minutes to get 99.99%, etc.  At some point you reach diminishing returns.  I cut mine off at 60 minutes and accept whatever the small efficiency hit is.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Why boother with the iodine test?
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2012, 01:03:18 pm »
I've been doing 60 min. mashes and getting 100% conversion efficiency based on Kai's chart.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2012, 02:14:10 pm »
Never have used iodine.  60 minute mash (plus or minus).  I note the clarity of the wort, but never notice when it clears (HERMS system).  Expected average efficiency for system, nice beer. Not worried.

You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...