Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: San Diego water for Pale Ale  (Read 7080 times)

Offline mmitchem

• Brewer
  • Suffolk, VA
    • http://www.barfclub.org
Re: San Diego water for Pale Ale
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2012, 05:31:49 pm »
Don't forget about RA (residual alkalinity) as it will play a part as well. I use phosphoric acid to drop mine for lighter styles like pilsners. But then again I dilute my water with 30% distilled water, then use gypsum and calcium chloride to acheive the appropriate sulfate to chloride ratio for what I am brewing.

Water matters! If anyone tells you it doesn't matter already has great water or they only brew one kind of beer!
Michael P Mitchem
Beer and Ale Research Foundation (B.A.R.F.)
AHA Member since 2011

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2012, 05:53:57 pm »
I have a German pils with about 36 IBUs and about 60 ppm sulfate that is bitter and dry. I have a Czech Pils with 42 IBUs and <1ppm sulfate that is a little more bitter, but is very rounded in the finish, as it fades quickly.

I'm sure tastes vary, but the low sulfate one sounds better to me.

They each are good examples of their style. I like both!
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2012, 08:21:11 am »
I have to disagree with Jason on the chloride level.  Any time chloride and sulfate are above 100 ppm, their effect on flavor is antagonistic.  They clash.  For the typical PA or IPA, a healthy dose of sulfate is welcome to help highlight the bittering, dryness, and hop flavor.  But then the chloride level must be relatively low to avoid that clash and minerally flavor. 

I do not agree with How to Brew's indication that up to 250 ppm Cl is OK.  There are no places that produce great beer that have chloride levels that high.  Dortmund is one of the few places that I've found that makes great beer and has a chloride level greater than 100 (its about 130ppm).  This whole issue with sulfate/chloride ratio is flawed for this very reason.  You can't add minerals to any great extent and expect that the effect is the same just because the ratio is right.  The ratio is only useful in a narrow range of chloride and sulfate concentrations.  Generally, both of them should be at concentrations of 100 ppm or less (except for pale ales where the sulfate can be much higher with little ill effect).

But I'll give kudos to Jason that his recommendation to dilute 50:50 and add gypsum would be a good way to go with this water when brewing a pale ale.

I certainly wont argue with that Martin! And thanks for the kudos. I give you kudos for giving me the info to make that suggestion.  I also agree with you in stating that Palmers statement of up to 250 ppm chloride is high. I  start with distilled water and generally am an advocate of trying to keep things simple. The highest chloride level Ive ever used in a beer was around 90 ppm. I guess I didnt convey that properly!
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline patrickswayze

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2012, 07:00:17 pm »
I just picked up some Calcium Chloride from my local HBM. It is by BrewStarter and i notice that it says 1 teaspoon adjusts 1 gal of water 297ppm for Calcium and 531ppm for Chloride. I tried to find the input on Bru'n Water but don't know the ratios that are in the algorithms. Anyone know? Also it seems different then the ratios given by John Palmer, do different brands have different amounts/ratios? I really don't want to mess up my amounts