Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: May seem like a dumb question  (Read 11248 times)

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
Re: May seem like a dumb question
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2012, 08:25:38 am »
Is green Jello the same as Green Jelly? The band that Danny Carey from Tool is in, with the three little pigs song? They kicked ass, Id love to get myhands on that album again.

Sorry to derail. And I agree above, the food grade hose purged should be ok, but taste it, youll know if its worth using or not!
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2012, 08:27:21 am »
Is green Jello the same as Green Jelly? The band that Danny Carey from Tool is in, with the three little pigs song? They kicked ass, Id love to get myhands on that album again.

Sorry to derail. And I agree above, the food grade hose purged should be ok, but taste it, youll know if its worth using or not!

yup, the story goes that Kraft foods sued so they changed the name to Green Jelly. I have no idea if that is true.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2012, 08:29:40 am »
Thats interesting Mort. That song actually is what woke me up out of a 2 month coma. My dad bought it for me and brought it in to the hospital with a boombox and blasted it in the hospital. I woke up to the big bad wolf haha, it holds a special place for me for that reason.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2012, 08:32:54 am »
Thats interesting Mort. That song actually is what woke me up out of a 2 month coma. My dad bought it for me and brought it in to the hospital with a boombox and blasted it in the hospital. I woke up to the big bad wolf haha, it holds a special place for me for that reason.

Wow, that's a story! I saw Jello Biafra doing spoken word abotu 10 years ago. He's an angry guy!
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2012, 08:34:56 am »

Wow, that's a story! I saw Jello Biafra doing spoken word abotu 10 years ago. He's an angry guy!

He seems like it. Maynard may be worse. That is one strange individual. Anyhoo, back to thread topic! Garden hoses....and go.
Jason

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2012, 03:43:37 pm »
Garden hose?  No.  I have been using a white RV hose for the last two years.  Not filtering, which I'm just about to start doing, only to try and tweak my process.  All my beers turn out great.  It's way easier to attach my hose to my HLT than it is to try and pour 10-15 gallons of water in there.  My system is gravity fed, that would be a pain!  The end product is always awesome. 
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2012, 04:31:02 pm »
Just say no to the hose.  RV filters just don't cut it.

Use the 4 or 5 gallon empty water jugs and just get bulk RO water from the grocery store.

The water jugs are easy to carry and you know the water has been properly filtered of chlorine and stripped of nearly all ions. 

Then, if doing all-grain, all you have to do is add back the various brew salt additions you desire for your particular style (bru'n water is good for this).  If you're doing extract, you don't have to add any salts.

I definitely think you can build your water from scratch if you've got the itch but it certainly isn't necessary. Outdoor spigot through food grade hose through a carbon filter is all you need.

Offline eaholljr

• Cellarman
May seem like a dumb question
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2012, 04:59:45 pm »
I ruined two batches of beer using a garden hose. If you are going to use tap water, take it straight from the hose bibb.
IPA makes my day!

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2012, 08:04:06 am »
I tasted my first beer made with all water from my RV hose. I didn't pick up any garden hose taste whatsoever. And it sure did save me some time on brew day. Thankyou for all your input.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2012, 11:27:03 am »
I'm still entertained by the phrase "overpowering hose flavor".
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2012, 11:37:05 am »
I'm still entertained by the phrase "overpowering hose flavor".

...especially on a BJCP score sheet.  ;D

Eventhough I've never seen it quoted like that, it is a distinct flavor that I can remember from when I was child and it certainly doesn't fare well in beer.
Ron Price

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2012, 12:06:59 pm »
What if you entered garden hose ale in Category 23 and listed it as the special ingredient?  Call it "childhood memories".
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2012, 02:17:44 pm »
I've had my garden hose for a couple of years and it still tastes like s*#! when I taste it.  Go food grade!

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2012, 05:09:22 pm »
Thanks to the advice earlier in this thread I bought a food grade RV hose. Before using it in my beer I let it run 5 minutes, drew a glass from it and another identicle glass from my tap. Tasted them side by side and detected absolutely no difference between the 2.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline anday6

• Cellarman
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2012, 05:53:37 pm »
+1, this is part if my process now too. Don't let the water sit in the hose either, run for a few minutes if the hose is left off between uses on brew day.