Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Storing Yeast Starters?  (Read 2187 times)

Offline rbowers

• Assistant Brewer
Storing Yeast Starters?
« on: May 22, 2012, 12:45:53 pm »
I've got a big two weeks of brewing coming up with a laid back work schedule and my wife and kids leaving town for 2 weeks thus leaving me to attend my hobby.  I am going to try and cram in 5 batches so I'll be set for months.  I've been planning this for awhile.
In preparation I was hoping to get my yeast starters ready a week or two ahead of time.  2 batches will require sizable starters (big baltic porter and dunkel).  The other 3 will be smaller beers.  Is there a way to store starters for a week or two?  Perhaps placing them in cleaned and sanitized bottles and capping them?  I could then crack them open as needed.  I only have two starter flasks.  Suggestions welcome.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Storing Yeast Starters?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 12:52:00 pm »
You could either do as you say or just make the two starters in the two flasks and leave them in the fridge with an airlock.  Or burp them every couple of days if in a sealed and sanitized container.  Buy an extra pack/vial for the smaller beers or just pitch one if it's under 1.050.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 01:08:42 pm »
As long as the caps are not so tight as to hold pressure, your plan will be fine.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Greg A.

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 02:58:16 pm »
I've got a big two weeks of brewing coming up with a laid back work schedule and my wife and kids leaving town for 2 weeks thus leaving me to attend my hobby.  I am going to try and cram in 5 batches so I'll be set for months.  I've been planning this for awhile.
In preparation I was hoping to get my yeast starters ready a week or two ahead of time.  2 batches will require sizable starters (big baltic porter and dunkel).  The other 3 will be smaller beers.  Is there a way to store starters for a week or two?  Perhaps placing them in cleaned and sanitized bottles and capping them?  I could then crack them open as needed.  I only have two starter flasks.  Suggestions welcome.

If you're going to store them for 2 weeks, it might be beneficial to decant them the morning of brewing and add some fresh wort to get them active.
Greg Arndt
Homebrewer in training

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 04:12:53 am »
Are you talking yeast starters with just unfermented wort? If so, can them and they will last a long time in the fridge. With the "canning method" I have kept starters for 6 months or longer before use.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout