Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pitch a full yeast packet for a half batch?  (Read 12084 times)

Offline ufergus

• 1st Kit
Pitch a full yeast packet for a half batch?
« on: May 22, 2012, 05:00:15 pm »
Hello,

I just joined the homebrew journey and have a question about making a half batch (2.5gal).  If I buy a kit, should I try and split the yeast packet and save half, or buy two yeast packets and pitch a full packet for each half batch?  Thanks for the help.

Rich

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
Re: Pitch a full yeast packet for a half batch?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 05:20:16 pm »
Debate about the proper pitching rate for homebrew is ongoing.  The yeast manufacturer's maintain that the proper amount for 5 gallons is the amount contained within the vial/pack while some highly decorated homebrewers maintain that the proper pitching rate is much higher than that (they model after pro-brewing techniques and cite research on the subject)

You won't injure your beer by using the whole thing....and according to some, it will be better as a result.  Look up "pitching rate calculator" on-line to get some comfort.

I think it would be too much effort to save half, however....if you want to reuse the yeast after you brew, you can easily do that (instead).  Good luck, and happy brewing.
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 06:32:31 pm »
I agree with gsandel on pretty much everything he said. I would just buy 2 batches of yeast and pitch a packet in each beer.

Also, as a person who started homebrewing not too long ago, I would recommend making 5 gallon batches if you can for a while, until you get your pipeline going. At 5 gallons, it took me 4 batches in 4 weeks to get to the point where I had enough beer in the pipeline that I could drop down to 1-2 brews a month. Obviously this depends on how much you drink, and how much your friends start drinking once they realize you make good beer.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 07:40:33 am »
First thing they should teach every homebrewer: RDWHAHB (Relax, Dont Worry, Have a Homebrew)

Dry yeast is cheap. Just buy another pack for the next half batch.

Welcome to the hobby (read: obssession) of homebrewing!
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline ufergus

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 07:43:17 am »
Thanks for the feedback.  I'll can tell home brewing is a slipper slope!   :D

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 08:20:54 am »
i have used dry yeast in the past and only used partial pack for 2 gallons.   i have also made a starter out of a partial pack of dry yeast ( i know some people don't like that idea) but it worked. i have only used dry yeast on occasion. i also have taken vials of white labs yeast and made separate starters out of one vial on separate occasions even after having in fridge for many months. 

that all said it is easy just to throw the dry yeast in to the beer and be done with it.
Don AHA member

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 08:32:51 am »
www.mrmalty.com

use the pitching rate calculator there. Proper pitching rate and fermentation temp are the most important thing you can do for a beer!

Just set it up for 2.5 gallons of wort at your expected OG and if using dry yeast or liquid yeast. That will tell you what you need to pitch :)
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.