Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: High temperature yeasts  (Read 8751 times)

Offline joshuapfitzpatrick

• 1st Kit
High temperature yeasts
« on: May 23, 2012, 06:44:46 pm »
I live in Phoenix, AZ and I would like to brew year round without the use of temperature controlling devices/systems. Does anyone know of a yeast that has a temp that goes up to around 85 degrees without producing nasty esters?

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
Re: High temperature yeasts
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 06:51:52 pm »
Not sure why you would want to do this...too many no cost, low maintence ways to control temps, which is about as important as anything in brewing.

Tell us what you are willing to commit to control the temps then we'll get into the yeast strains.

No recommendation from The Tubercle.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 06:55:35 pm »
Agree with The Tubercle.  You're not going to have much success at all at those temps.  Even the "high temp" Belgian strains actually do not do that well at higher temps at the homebrew level, and definitely not at 85F.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 07:13:22 pm »
Also agree.  No yeast is gonna make you great beer at 85F
Joe

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 07:15:10 pm »
I recently brewed a belgian style, and my temps peaked at 78*. The beer was VERY solventy, and not pleasant. I used a "high temp tolerant" strain... 
Temp control is a HIGH priority in making good beer...
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 08:24:49 pm »
The only thing that is even in the ballpark would be a saison, but even then you really want to start that off in the 60's before you start to let it rise.

Google "swamp cooler fermentation" and see if you can find a rig that will work for you...
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 05:31:39 am »
The only thing that is even in the ballpark would be a saison, but even then you really want to start that off in the 60's before you start to let it rise.

Google "swamp cooler fermentation" and see if you can find a rig that will work for you...

+1
Dave Zach

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 06:35:29 am »
The yeast you want to use is WLP-565, the DuPont Saison strain. You might want to pitch cool but ramp up to the higher temps. This yeast will stall if you let it get to normal temps. I have to add heat to the fermenter to get it to finish. It produces peppery/spicy phenolics. Hope you like Saisons and Farmhouse ales.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 07:36:25 am »
Hope you like Saisons and Farmhouse ales.

+1 to that as well as it's all you will be able to brew until you introduce temperature control.
Dave Zach

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 09:03:33 am »

+1 to that as well as it's all you will be able to brew until you introduce temperature control.

I still think this is a big misconception...

Just because you're in and around 85F, doesn't mean its consistent enough for healthy fermentation.

IMO 85F is too high, even for saison yeast.

DONT BUY ANY MORE BREWING EQUIPMENT. Save that cash for a $50-$100 fridge from Craigslist and a temp controller (you can get away with a Johnson one-stage, but REALLY nail it with the Ranco two-stage and a brew belt).

2 Stage:

http://morebeer.com/view_product/16664/102282/Ranco_Digital_Two-Stage_Temperature_Controller_-_Wired

Brew Belt:

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/homebrewing-equipment/fermentation-equipment/temperature-control/the-brew-belt-1.html
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 09:12:58 am »

I still think this is a big misconception...

Just because you're in and around 85F, doesn't mean its consistent enough for healthy fermentation.

IMO 85F is too high, even for saison yeast.

DONT BUY ANY MORE BREWING EQUIPMENT. Save that cash for a $50-$100 fridge from Craigslist and a temp controller (you can get away with a Johnson one-stage, but REALLY nail it with the Ranco two-stage and a brew belt).

2 Stage:

http://morebeer.com/view_product/16664/102282/Ranco_Digital_Two-Stage_Temperature_Controller_-_Wired

Brew Belt:

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/homebrewing-equipment/fermentation-equipment/temperature-control/the-brew-belt-1.html

or $10 for a big rubbermade tub, $3 for a couple 1 liter bottles of water to go in the freezer and $0 for an old tshirt to act as a wick, you should be able to get a 5-10* temp drop this way, so your still stuck with saison/farmhouse belgians but at least they won't give you a raging headache.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 09:29:46 am »
Someone said "Swamp Cooler Fermentation" so I thought I'd give another option :-)

Not speaking out against it - so many people use it with success, its a great option - just takes some practice to get it right and you're still limited through the hot months.

Just saying - if you're eyeing a new kettle, mash tun, pump, etc. etc. etc., invest it in good temp control (and a beer fridge to boot!) first.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 10:03:17 am »
Someone said "Swamp Cooler Fermentation" so I thought I'd give another option :-)

Not speaking out against it - so many people use it with success, its a great option - just takes some practice to get it right and you're still limited through the hot months.

Just saying - if you're eyeing a new kettle, mash tun, pump, etc. etc. etc., invest it in good temp control (and a beer fridge to boot!) first.

okay, I'll give you that. temp control before fancy pumps etc.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline smkranz

• Brewer
  • Maryland
    • Midnight Homebrewers' League
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2012, 12:23:44 am »
The yeast you want to use is WLP-565, the DuPont Saison strain. You might want to pitch cool but ramp up to the higher temps. This yeast will stall if you let it get to normal temps. I have to add heat to the fermenter to get it to finish. It produces peppery/spicy phenolics. Hope you like Saisons and Farmhouse ales.

Definitely the yeast for you.  I let it start around 70-75.  Active fermentation will generate heat for a couple of days, and then you'll want to keep it up there for the yeast to finish..upper 80's or higher is fine.  I've done Saisons into the low 90's and they turn out great.  Our local micro (Dog Brewing) brews Saisons and other Farmhouse Ales for Stillwater Ales, and they use White Labs' 565 which they let get that warm in their tanks.
Steve K.
BJCP Beer & Mead Certified
Midnight Homebrewers' League
http://www.midnighthomebrewers.org