Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Where to buy Corn Sugar?  (Read 12208 times)

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
Where to buy Corn Sugar?
« on: May 22, 2012, 11:40:15 pm »
I do like to support my local home brew shop.  However, I would much rather buy corn sugar at a bargain price.  I've checked VONS, Ralphs and local grocery stores in my area, but they seem to not carry it.

Other than the local home brew shops where can corn sugar be bought?
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Where to buy Corn Sugar?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 11:43:26 pm »
Why corn sugar? I haven't used it in ages. just use cane/beet table sugar, it's cheaper and more or less the same thing.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 11:56:00 pm »
I use all different types of sugar that fit into the flavor profile of all different styles of beer.  Sometimes cane sugar for a Belgian beers, or sometimes molasses for English Old Ale's.  I like using corn sugar to bottle, and sometimes I like using it to add gravity while drying out my IIPA's.  I guess I could use some good ol' table sugar instead of corn sugar but It's kind of been a habit to use corn sugar for IIPA's.

I'm up for trying new things. Suggestions?   
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 12:10:27 am »
I just made a big belgian wheat wine with 3 lbs of coconut sugar. it is pretty tasty.

I would expect plain table sugar to be indistinguishable from corn sugar in an IIPA but I could be wrong.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline s rails

• Cellarman
  • Clovis, CA
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 12:16:36 am »
I have to agree that cane and corn sugar will frement out the same.  Using darker candi sugars and brown sugars will add color and can impart some flavor.  Other then these when a recipe calls for sugar to increase fermentability cane sugar will work just as well as corn sugar.  Save your money and just grab some regular sugar from the market if you need to increase fermentability.  I just dissolve it in the boil.
Sean Railing
"Drink Beer, Be Happy, Live Longer"

Fermenting: 
Rye Pale Ale
Kegged or Bottled:
Bock, Bitter, ESB, Dubbel,  Baltic Porter, Unblended Lambic, Sanctification Clone, American Barleywine

Member San Joaquin Worthogs (Admin Vice President 2014)