Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: difference between US and German Tettnanger?  (Read 2704 times)

Offline redzim

• Brewer
difference between US and German Tettnanger?
« on: May 24, 2012, 07:27:38 am »
Looking to order another years supply of hop pellets today, found out both North Country (at least in Champlain NY) and HopsDirect are out of German Tetts (at least in 1 pounders).  So I orders the US Tetts from HopsDirect (grown right at their farm apparently).  Will I be able to even tell the difference? I can't imagine I'll notice it, but just want to make sure.  I mostly use Tetts as a flavor or aroma hop, in Vienna lagers, Alts, a Jever-style Pils (sometimes Hallertauer Mittlefruh in that one), Bocks, etc.

thanks
red

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: difference between US and German Tettnanger?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 09:56:09 am »
I have heard that US Tetts are derived from Fuggles, which is a very different hop.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: difference between US and German Tettnanger?
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 12:38:04 pm »
There must have been a poor crop in the Tettnanger region, which is down by the Bodensee. I have not found the whole Tetts by the pound at my usual sources. Did find some in pellet form.

Hope there is a better crop this year.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!