Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Carbon filtered water  (Read 15010 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Carbon filtered water
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2012, 02:27:26 pm »
Mort, phosphoric is tasteless and odorless, and is only a 10% solution. Not much hardcore about that! 88% lactic acid is also pretty easy to work with.

might try the lactic. I am hesitant to use phosphoric at least partially because it doesn't strike me as 'food' but I could be totally wrong.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2012, 03:31:25 pm »
might try the lactic. I am hesitant to use phosphoric at least partially because it doesn't strike me as 'food' but I could be totally wrong.

It's not food, so don't drink it! I wouldn't consider gypsum or calcium chloride to be "food" either, but I have no problem putting them in my beer.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2012, 03:45:36 pm »
Mort, phosphoric is tasteless and odorless, and is only a 10% solution. Not much hardcore about that! 88% lactic acid is also pretty easy to work with.

I hope you don't drink Coke then.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2012, 04:30:25 pm »

I don't. every once in a while I will have a mexican coke if I am in a taqueria but between the HFCS and the insane amount of sugar in general I try very hard to stay away from soda in general. sparky water, that's for me!
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2012, 06:30:21 pm »

I don't. every once in a while I will have a mexican coke if I am in a taqueria but between the HFCS and the insane amount of sugar in general I try very hard to stay away from soda in general. sparky water, that's for me!
The reason Coke can be used to make a penny shiny or clean a chrome bumper is the low pH, due to the phosphoric acid in there. 
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline DW

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2012, 06:51:47 pm »
That seems to be a large dose of Epsom Salt

One teaspoon should equal 4.5g MagSulfate.  This was put into 7 gallon of water.  Overally, my Mg was supposed to be around 22ppm, which (I believe), is ok.  I should have specified how much water it was added to.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2012, 07:52:48 pm »
That seems to be a large dose of Epsom Salt

One teaspoon should equal 4.5g MagSulfate.  This was put into 7 gallon of water.  Overally, my Mg was supposed to be around 22ppm, which (I believe), is ok.  I should have specified how much water it was added to.

You don't really need more than 5ppm Mg.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2012, 09:28:46 am »

Mort, have you ever considered acidulated malt?  With Kai and Martin's spreadsheets and brewing experience you can usually dial in the amount needed based on your grist pretty closely and you can always supplement witht the acid of your choice if your pH isn't to your liking.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2012, 09:59:25 am »

Mort, have you ever considered acidulated malt?  With Kai and Martin's spreadsheets and brewing experience you can usually dial in the amount needed based on your grist pretty closely and you can always supplement witht the acid of your choice if your pH isn't to your liking.

Yeah, I have thought about that as well. another option. although I sort of feel like I would just as likely go with plain lactic acid as having another small quantity malt around could be annoying.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce