Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cotton Owens  (Read 1599 times)

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
Cotton Owens
« on: May 23, 2012, 08:29:28 pm »
Cotton Owens finally got into the NASCSAR Hall of Fame. He should have went in on the first vote....js.

He joins Bud Moore and David Pearson from my home town.. Now all we lack is Jack Smith.

If it were'nt for Spartanburg there wouldn't be a NASCAR. Spartanburg was the Charlotte in the early days. All the teams were here. Bill France was going to build the "Talladega" track here and already had the land set aside but the county council wouldn't allow racin' on Sunday. If racing commences on Sunday then folks might miss church to get an early seat and once the race starts folks might be tempted to drink beer which would lead them to look at a womern's legs...<sigh.>.

Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
Re: Cotton Owens
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 08:35:32 pm »
If it were'nt for Spartanburg there wouldn't be a NASCAR.

I think the folks in Daytona might not agree widdat.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 09:12:40 pm »
If it were'nt for Spartanburg there wouldn't be a NASCAR.

I think the folks in Daytona might not agree widdat.

I might have been a little strong with that statement but in the 50's all the big teams were here and  others were starting to migrate in this direction. Cherokee, Greenville-Pickens, Spartanburg Fairgrounds, Confederate Motor Speedway & Shelby were the premire tracks. These are the ones where Cotton, Pearson, Ralph Earnahrt, Lee Petty, Jack Smith, Buck Baker, & Bud Moore and the like won their first races and started getting things off the ground. That's what made Bill France Sr want to build the big super speedway here. Around here we say "county council dropped the ball and Bruton Smith got the call".
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 12:00:16 am »
If they had built Spartanburg just a wee bit closer to the beach you'd have had a lock on it...   ;)
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907