Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Going to rehydrate  (Read 7834 times)

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
Going to rehydrate
« on: February 06, 2010, 09:24:51 am »
  I'm gonna brew a bitter today. US-05 is my good ole' go to yeast. Quite honestly, my palate cannot pick out big differences in yeast. Yet. So, I just stick with 05, because I know it. I'll have an OG of 1038, so I am just going to pitch one pack. I've nver rehydrated before, but after to listening to some old "Sunday Session" podcasts, I think I am going to try it, and form my own opinion on he idea of it. Worst that can happen, is I make beer.  :D
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Going to rehydrate
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 09:31:26 am »
I sprinkle it right on top of the wort. I have good success with it. I know alot of folks rehydrate and have good results as well. I don't know if it makes any difference.
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 09:39:02 am »
Rehydrate away if you want to, but be careful with the temp.  Dan Listermann said years ago that he advised his customers to skip rehydration becasue so many of them were killing the yeast by using too high a temp.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 09:43:34 am »
Good to know Denny. I will definitely watch that. I figure I should at least try rehydrating once for myself. For no other reason than to say I did it, and can ell everyone else not to.  ;D

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 09:44:33 am »
Good to know Denny. I will definitely watch that. I figure I should at least try rehydrating once for myself. For no other reason than to say I did it, and can ell everyone else not to.  ;D

Hey, that's just the way I did it!  ;)

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 09:46:13 am »
Brew on

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 09:52:26 am »
Thanks Tom! I was about to start Googling that. You saved me!

Offline mikeypedersen

• Brewer
  • Longmont, CO
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 01:53:55 pm »
It's funny, I always rehydrated when using US-05, but tried it in my house APA not rehydrated.  Went down to exactly the same FG, so I probably will never do it again.  I just find that stopping to boil some water, chill it and rehydrate yeast was kind of a PIA anyway, and if skippng that made no difference, then what the heck.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 01:58:22 pm »
I am a sprinkler too, but I picked up a good tip from george schmidt on how to rehydrate with ease:

take an unopened bottle of water at room temp, open it, pour half of it out add your yeast, cap and swirl.  its sanitary, quick and easy and makes a nice pitching/pouring vessel.

I did that the 2 times I tried rehydrating, but I wasn't convinced it did anything different so I went back to my sprinkling method.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 02:00:55 pm »
It's funny, I always rehydrated when using US-05, but tried it in my house APA not rehydrated.  Went down to exactly the same FG, so I probably will never do it again.  I just find that stopping to boil some water, chill it and rehydrate yeast was kind of a PIA anyway, and if skippng that made no difference, then what the heck.

Welcome to the world of the Pragmatic Brewer!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 04:09:54 pm »

Welcome to the world of the Pragmatic Brewer!

I hate it when you use the word "pragmatic". I think we have discussed this before.  :-\

Offline roffenburger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 04:34:30 pm »
I seem to have a shorter lag time when I rehydrate yeast. Maybe its just in my head ::)
Travis R.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 04:41:58 pm »
I seem to have a shorter lag time when I rehydrate yeast. Maybe its just in my head ::)

Maybe, maybe not....I guess I figure my lag is short enough without rehydrating.  In reality, I haven't noticed a whole lot of difference between a 2 hour lag and a 24 hour lag.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 07:12:04 pm »
Except for......well.......22 hours.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2010, 07:16:13 pm »
Except for......well.......22 hours.

?

www.dennybrew.com