Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: White Labs San Diego Superyeast!  (Read 17240 times)

Offline TrippleRippleBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
White Labs San Diego Superyeast!
« on: May 23, 2012, 02:27:12 pm »
So a brew buddy of mine has used this yeast a few times and I've liked the beers he's brewed with it. I use S05 quite a bit and I've decided to ditch the dry and give this liquid yeast a shot in an IPA.

Other than the temp requirements and pitching, anybody have feedback for me on this yeast? Like it not like it and why? Seemed pretty clean and neutral to me when I tasted it.

My friend says it ferments like crazy and blows out the solution in the airlock on his bigger beers. I've not used much from White Labs other than the usual 001, and some Belgian strains in the past. I'm talking 5 years ago.

TIA

Steve

Offline firedog23

• Brewer
  • Just taking it one brew at a time!
Re: White Labs San Diego Superyeast!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 02:39:52 pm »
Be careful when you open it. I used it a few months ago and it exploded all over me and I barely got any into the wort. This was before I did yeast starters.
In the fermenter:

Up coming brews:
First boil in a bag

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 02:40:53 pm »
Personally, I am not a fan of it.  But, I know other people that are.  To each their own.  I generally use WLP001, Wyeast 1272, or WLP007 for my American ales (WLP007 is probably my house yeast).

This is the only yeast I have had stall on me in over 6 years of brewing and it happened twice with 2 different vials in 2 different beers only a couple of weeks apart in beers I have brewed before with great success with WLP001 and WLP007.  Even though I made a starter, oxygenated, yeast nutrient, etc., like I always do.

But, it is homebrewing and their is nothing wrong with trying something new and learning.  Like I said, others have use it and like the results.  But, I will stick with WLP001/007 from now on.  Just my $0.02.

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 06:10:28 pm »
OK so many of the White Labs vials have been a hassle to open without spraying everywhere and it's always a challenge to do it without making a mess. I am familiar with that procedure. My experience has been if it doesn't want to spray, the yeast is probably not at it's optimum. Every batch I ever made with their yeast where the vial didn't give me a nice blast of CO2 while opening it was a slow ferment or was so bad it didn't fully ferment. Checking dates is a good idea I guess.

Starters....thought about making one. Was trying to decide what to do since I have S05 packets and two vials of this White Labs and I'm brewing ten gallons.

• I either need to make two starters using the white labs, or use both vials in one batch and use rehydrated S05 in the other as a comparison for flavor etc. That might be interesting.
  • Or make a starter with one vial, pitch it with the other vial straight away into one batch, and use S05 in the other batch again for comparison.
  • Or mix the two yeasts! Put a vial and a rehydrated packet of S05 in each batch.

Just checked and the vials are both dated for Jul 11th 2012.....definitely need to make starters with them.

Looking to brew a mid 60's OG IPA which warrants a bit more pitch than one packet or vial per batch particularly if this stuff is getting a bit old, which has tripped me up in the past.

Hmmmm.........

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 11:50:05 am »
Be careful when you open it. I used it a few months ago and it exploded all over me and I barely got any into the wort. This was before I did yeast starters.

OK so many of the White Labs vials have been a hassle to open without spraying everywhere and it's always a challenge to do it without making a mess. I am familiar with that procedure.

You may already do this, if so apologies.

If you crack the seal and let the air escape before you let it warm up and shake it, no more geysers. Worked like a charm for me.

"Well, the Mexicans got a saying - what cannot be remedied must be endured."

-Barbarosa

Offline FirstStateBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Delaware
    • First State Brewers
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 12:12:37 pm »
I bought it only because the colorful vial caught my eye!  Plan to brew an IPA with it.

Come on, which one would YOU choose?

Scott B

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 12:28:08 pm »
OK so many of the White Labs vials have been a hassle to open without spraying everywhere and it's always a challenge to do it without making a mess. I am familiar with that procedure. My experience has been if it doesn't want to spray, the yeast is probably not at it's optimum. Every batch I ever made with their yeast where the vial didn't give me a nice blast of CO2 while opening it was a slow ferment or was so bad it didn't fully ferment. Checking dates is a good idea I guess.

Starters....thought about making one. Was trying to decide what to do since I have S05 packets and two vials of this White Labs and I'm brewing ten gallons.

• I either need to make two starters using the white labs, or use both vials in one batch and use rehydrated S05 in the other as a comparison for flavor etc. That might be interesting.
  • Or make a starter with one vial, pitch it with the other vial straight away into one batch, and use S05 in the other batch again for comparison.
  • Or mix the two yeasts! Put a vial and a rehydrated packet of S05 in each batch.

Just checked and the vials are both dated for Jul 11th 2012.....definitely need to make starters with them.

Looking to brew a mid 60's OG IPA which warrants a bit more pitch than one packet or vial per batch particularly if this stuff is getting a bit old, which has tripped me up in the past.

Hmmmm.........

Definitely make a starter with the vials.

I'd pitch both batches with different yeasts and see what you think on a side by side comparison.  I've done this recently with a couple different strains and it has helped me to rule out certain yeast for certain styles and some yeast altogether.

The differences between two batches of the same recipe pitched with different strains can be eye-opening, even if your pitching two similar strains.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 12:35:38 pm »
I bought it only because the colorful vial caught my eye!  Plan to brew an IPA with it.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 01:12:24 pm by denny »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 12:43:15 pm »
You make me smile, Denny.

In 20 years or so, I've never actually used a White Labs yeast.

I guess I'm brand-loyal.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 12:46:58 pm »
I guess I'm brand-loyal.

Funny how that goes, isn't it? I used a Wyeast pack once, had a bad experience with it that likely had nothing to do with the quality of the product, yet now I never use anything that doesn't start with WLP.
"Well, the Mexicans got a saying - what cannot be remedied must be endured."

-Barbarosa

Offline FirstStateBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Delaware
    • First State Brewers
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 12:47:40 pm »
My LHBS only carries White Labs.  But, I have bought some Wyeast online, recently.   :D
Scott B

Offline oly

• Cellarman
  • beervana
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 01:24:31 pm »

Does Wyeast have a version of this strain?

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 01:27:13 pm »

From those I would pick American Farmhouse or Saison II but that is just how I roll.  ;D
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2012, 06:24:33 am »

OK so many of the White Labs vials have been a hassle to open without spraying everywhere and it's always a challenge to do it without making a mess. I am familiar with that procedure.

You may already do this, if so apologies.

If you crack the seal and let the air escape before you let it warm up and shake it, no more geysers. Worked like a charm for me.

Just did that five minutes ago. The liquid is fully carbonated like a beer. I let them rest with the caps barely loosened for a minute and they started ejecting the liquid and foaming! They were fresh from the refrigerator and under 40 degrees. I've sealed them again and I'm waiting for them to hit room temp before making the starter.

Thanks for the tip. I believe this will help tremendously.

Ok....it did help a LOT. I had to repeatedly vent them. Probably did it every 20 minutes until the starter was done, chilled, and ready to go. Then took a few more vents after shaking and finally no mess!

Such a simple stupid practice but helps so much.

Thanks again

Steve
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 09:40:41 am by PortageMIBrewer »

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2012, 04:12:10 am »
The San Diego yeast peaked and appears to have already begun a decline after only three days of fermentation. It reached full krausen and was very active for a couple days.
Meanwhile the S05 went crazy and blew out the airlock. I guess I need to check gravities and see where we're at but I'll be out of town for almost four days and won't have a chance to do so until after that.