Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's your preferred Belgian Pale yeast?  (Read 7986 times)

Offline kraftwerk

• Assistant Brewer
What's your preferred Belgian Pale yeast?
« on: June 07, 2012, 08:41:25 pm »
Quick survey:

What's your preferred Belgian Pale yeast? Why is it great?

« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 09:02:12 pm by kraftwerk »
Beer is like music. I don't have a favorite. I'll take a well-made example of any style!

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
Re: What's your preferred Belgian Pale yeast?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 08:48:09 am »
My "standard" Enkel uses T-58. Why? Because it's super cheap, and does the job. If you ferment it cool you'll get something close to a Leffe-type flavor.

If I had to pick a liquid strain, I'd go with the Ardennes.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 08:56:19 am »
I can't pick a favorite, but I'll second the praise for T-58.  It's versatile, and I've done well in competitions with it.  When it comes to Belgians, I mainly brew Blonds, Pales, and Saisons.

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 09:17:38 am »
I use WY3787 for my Belgian Pale but that's primarily because the 5-gallons of Pale is the 'starter' for a subsequent Belgian Quad.  The Belgian Pale is fantastic, by the way.
Joe

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 10:08:10 am »
I don't think there's a single Belgian yeast that makes a bad pale. I used to use 3787 all the time and liked it.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 10:28:35 am »
3787 is my preference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline svejk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Seattle, Wa
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 10:45:59 am »
I'm a big fan of Wyeast 3522 Ardennes. Basic Brewing Radio had an episode a while back where they compared a bunch of Belgian yeast strains, and the 3522 really stood out.  If you're going to NHC, I'll have my Belgian Pale, Monk's Drool, at the hospitality suite right before Club Night:

http://www.seattleproper.com/nhc-2012/nhc-beer-list

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 06:52:45 pm »
WLP550 is my go to Belgian yeast for most styles. I've used it for dubbels, triples, quads, saisons and pales

Offline kraftwerk

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 03:32:57 pm »
My "standard" Enkel uses T-58. Why? Because it's super cheap, and does the job. If you ferment it cool you'll get something close to a Leffe-type flavor.

If I had to pick a liquid strain, I'd go with the Ardennes.

Just trying to get an idea of what to use for the upcoming batch. This being the first attempt at a Belgian Pale, I thought I'd see what is preferred. Thanks for all the info!
Beer is like music. I don't have a favorite. I'll take a well-made example of any style!

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 09:24:11 am »
Im a WLP500 guy. But Im a chimay freak. I think youll get as many answers on belgian strains as you ask people.  I highly recommend brewing split batches and experimenting to see what you like! They are all awesome strains and all have their own unique qualities.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline andyi

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 11:25:03 am »

CYBI did a Rare Vos clone using WLP 570 and liked the results.  I have tried the WLP515, it was too clean.

My goto belgian is WY3522. 

Offline mripa

• 1st Kit
  • Beer
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2012, 08:05:28 pm »
I'm a big fan of Wyeast 3522 Ardennes. Basic Brewing Radio had an episode a while back where they compared a bunch of Belgian yeast strains, and the 3522 really stood out.  If you're going to NHC, I'll have my Belgian Pale, Monk's Drool, at the hospitality suite right before Club Night:

http://www.seattleproper.com/nhc-2012/nhc-beer-list

I agree.. I have brewed a Belgian Pale Ale with this and my friends drained the keg.  I saved the yeast and will brew it again.

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2012, 08:12:30 pm »
I am digging WLP550 at the moment.  Ferments beastly in the low 60*F with a nice clean, earthy, peppery phenols with some subtle citrus notes.  Very versatile would work for any Belgian style of beer I think?