Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: A mild APA  (Read 2294 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
A mild APA
« on: May 30, 2012, 02:49:57 pm »
I have to get smaller glasses because I'm finding that when I sit down and drink 6 or 8 of my 20 oz glasses, I am having a bit of trouble getting back up.  Of course, the other option would be to have fewer (that won't work) or brew a lighter beer.  So, I'm gonna try the latter.

I'm thinking of doing a lighter version of an APA.  I want that hoppy flavour with appropriate bitterness but in balance with less alcohol.

This is pretty basic but here's where I'm starting
6 lbs Weyermann Munich 1 (light) - going all Munich to get more malt character in a lighter beer
0.5 lbs Crystal 45
0.5 oz Citra at 30 mins
0.5 oz Citra at 5 mins
0.5 oz Amarillo (or Sorachi Ace) at 5 mins
WLP001 or WLP007

Shooting for something in the 3.5 to 4% range.  My efficiency usually runs about 80% and I'm doing a 5 gal batch.
Please give me your thoughts on how I can make an extremely sessionable APA.

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
Re: A mild APA
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 03:04:51 pm »
Looks good to me.  My APA is about 4.5% and it's straight forward Two Row, Crystal 20, Simcoe @ 60 and Cascade @ 30 & 15 & 5 and dry hop w/ Cascade.   Beer is great and I've won several awards w/ this beer.  So I may suggest adding a dry hop step to get a little more hoppy aroma/flavor.  Me personally, I think I would go with Amarillo rather than SA.

I've been thinking about trying Munich in my APA to get a little more malt character, but I"ve never had anyone say that my beer was lacking it.  Still may try it to see what it does, but I can definitely see its advantages in a 3%-4% beer.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: A mild APA
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 07:49:58 pm »
love it Graham. I don't often use crystal malts but I think that for these really small table beers they can add a ton of body and character that can be missing. Munich to. I also find you can add more hops that would seem warranted, if you like that sort of thing.

for what it's worth I have even aimed for right around 3% and came close and been very happy. mash really hot. like 162 even for 45 minutes or so then either get to a boil as fast as possible (if you are a batch sparger) or mash out to get the fermentability locked in.

It's a great way to be able to drink 5 or 6 in an evening.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce