General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

Fermentation Temp Control

(1/5) > >>

beerocd:
Is temp control important to you?
A couple guys in another thread have said this is the single most important factor to making good beer. Before moving to AG, or buying any other equipment to move beyond Mr.Beer - temp control is number one. Why is it discussed so little then?

Is it just not blingy enough to discuss, or is it boring, or do the lhbs' not make enough selling 1 johnson controller for your craigslist chest freezer?

a10t2:
Here's my process: http://seanterrill.com/2009/05/20/regulating-fermentation-temperatures/

Like I said in the other thread, I don't feel that it is under-discussed. It almost always comes up in a discussion of a particular yeast strain, it's frequently included in recipes, etc. And repeated ad nauseam to newbies with questions, IME. It's just sort of a mundane topic - once you have it figured out, you don't have to worry about it again.

beerocd:

--- Quote from: a10t2 on February 06, 2010, 11:28:38 AM ---
 IME. It's just sort of a mundane topic -

--- End quote ---

This is kind of what I was thinking. Just not exciting enough to discuss, but I've never heard it placed so high up as a factor in final beer product.

denny:
Wow, don't know where you guys have been!  I've seen it discussed often through the years. 

hokerer:
I use a homemade "sorta son of fermentation chiller" setup.  And yes, I agree that fermentation temperature control is the single most important improvement you can make to you brewing process.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version