Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Black bean soup with taro  (Read 4290 times)

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
Black bean soup with taro
« on: May 25, 2012, 11:28:00 pm »
I've made oxtail stew with black beans, thinking about adding taro... either to straight black bean or to the oxtail and blackbean.  I suppose I should cook the taro ahead of time, since I prefer to use a little baking soda--just a pinch into the simmer water, the last time it nearly exploded into a fizzly bubbly foam (the poison is an organic acid).

What do yall think?  Black bean and taro root?  Or should I go all the way and do black bean, oxtail, and taro?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Black bean soup with taro
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 11:36:55 pm »
I've made oxtail stew with black beans, thinking about adding taro... either to straight black bean or to the oxtail and blackbean.  I suppose I should cook the taro ahead of time, since I prefer to use a little baking soda--just a pinch into the simmer water, the last time it nearly exploded into a fizzly bubbly foam (the poison is an organic acid).

What do yall think?  Black bean and taro root?  Or should I go all the way and do black bean, oxtail, and taro?

Taro on the side.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 11:37:39 pm »
shoe string style, on top with some sour cream and salsa
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 11:47:58 pm »

Go for a iron pan and go for pancetti and garlic. soak/cook you beans in stock (fresh is best). cook the tail in a dutch oven ( may take more than one batch). skip the crap you want fresh natural not what the megas want you to eat. I would season with rosemary and tarragon, don't forget to use a bay leaf in your stock. If you want to add a touch of cayanne I would go 1/8 tsp.

let me know if you like it.

Marc

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 12:31:15 am »
Pound it into poi and serve with lomi lomi salmon.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 06:40:54 am »
Pound it into poi and serve with lomi lomi salmon.

Must you repeat everything. ;)