Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Better Beer Scores-Craft Beer U  (Read 7084 times)

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
Re: Better Beer Scores-Craft Beer U
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2012, 03:13:34 pm »
Thanks Geoff that's good to know and I kind of figured there might not be many sucess stories yet just due to the fact that the program is so new and it sure sounds like turnaround on the exams takes a hell of a long time.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 09:09:32 pm »
Nice explanation Mike!

You should be considered for the Continuing Ed. Director.  :)
Ron Price

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 08:17:47 am »
Nope, no Ed Director for me. I'm not sure if they are still looking or not... ???
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline thomasbarnes

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2012, 07:13:22 pm »
Nope, no Ed Director for me. I'm not sure if they are still looking or not... ???

As far as I know, Kris England has taken it back.

As for doctored beer kits, the BJCP will sell a Siebel off-flavor kits at subsidized prices to HB clubs and to people who are running registered "BICEP" exam prep classes. Details here:

http://www.bjcp.org/cep/kits.php

For DYI off-flavor kits, this is what I've used in the past:

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=2506.msg32992#msg32992

No insult meant to the Craft Beer U guys, but you can get a lot of very good test prep resources for free at the BJCP web site (including the members forums) and by searching the web. In particular, the Washington Area Homebrewers Association has some amazing resources, including links to streaming audio and video presentations of BICEP training classes.

OTOH, if you don't have access to a good high speed internet connection or a whole lot of good brewing resources, and you don't test well, you might benefit from their product.

Offline timmyr

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2012, 08:13:15 am »
Good day all,

I enrolled in the BBS course under a recent promotion and began class in January.  I am also interested in how the current curriculum will translate to the new test and am anxiously waiting for the AHA to release the on-line portion so I can take that test.

I will say this, the course does a very good job delivering testing strategies, ways to study, and techniques for breaking down information such as recipes and processes.  They also force you to taste and evaluate different styles of beer, and hear what other people taste and smell.  I have found that to be a great asset.  I've done some sensory analysis training in the past and there is no substitute for having a group taste the same beer and share their impressions. 

I am sure you could tackle a lot of the information yourself but the BBS guys do a good job presenting the material and highlighting testing strategies.  When the test changes, I am sure they will be supportive to those of us who have studied under the old syllabus.

I am only one person, but I am pretty happy with the class so far.  If I had to note one complaint it would only be that at times their responsiveness to e-mailed questions and homework is a bit slow.  This is really a minor complaint and may very well be isolated to just me.

Overall, Charlie and the rest of the BBS folks put on a really solid and well focused course.  I am a satisfied customer after Week 10.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 09:11:19 am by timmyr »
Cheers,

Timmy

On
APA
American Brown
Harvest Rye
New England Cider
Soon
More Cider

Offline ghumphrey

• Cellarman
  • Highlands Ranch, CO
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2012, 10:44:57 am »
Timmy, I hope your experience was positive in taking the 12 week Better Beer Scores course. Please keep us posted here of your progress!

Some exiting news on our front especially relevant to this thread...

Due to the changes in the BJCP's testing methodologies, Better Beer Scores has been revised and re-launched - the  program is now comprised of three shorter (4-5 week) courses, each aligned with one of the three BJCP Exams (the BJCP Entrance Exam, the BJCP Tasting Exam, and the BJCP Written Proficiency Exam).

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask them here or PM me.

Geoff