Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: how to determine hop plant variety?  (Read 6201 times)

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
how to determine hop plant variety?
« on: May 27, 2012, 11:22:10 pm »
Does anybody have a good source for identifying hop plants. the hops that are currently growing in my backyard are from my cousins new house. the previous owner was a homebrewer. Unfortunately the variety of hops was never discussed.

“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: how to determine hop plant variety?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 02:19:11 pm »
It is almost impossible to do that from just looking at the bines and leaves. Hallertau and its derivatives often have red stripes on the bines, and there is the Canadian Redbine where it is all red. The leasves can have 1 to 5 lobes, all on the same plant. Sometimes the cones give some clues, as certain plants have cones that have a certain look.

The Hop Breaders have records of what the plants are. The best way is DNA testing. Intersting discussion on the BeerSmith podcast with Al Haunold of OSU.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline b-hoppy

• Assistant Brewer
Re: how to determine hop plant variety?
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 09:43:49 am »
Hopfen is right, especially when they're young - first/second year.  Once they're established the foliage pretty much takes on the characteristics of that particular variety although you'll have some different leaf types on different locations of the same plant.  Once mature, cone shape combined with leaf shape will get you closer to nailing down the variety.  Also, with the Redvines, I suppose the amount red coloration along the vine has to do with where they're grown.  Mine are usually just tinged with red along the points of the vine where the climbing hooks are located.  Lots of variables to look at.  I just grow and have fun with it!