Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How big for a homebrewer?  (Read 14518 times)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: How big for a homebrewer?
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2012, 10:32:35 am »
Something I've been wondering lately is how hot the water really needs to be to sparge.  Since you are washing the sugar out of the grain, not converting the starch what is the issue with using warm water, not hot.

I think Denny talked about cold sparging and said he only saw a little drop in lauter efficiency. so yeah it should work, if you have a hot water on demand system you could for sure use that to sparge!

Kai actually did an experiment by sparging with room temp water and didn't find any negative effect on efficiency.  My lone experiment showed me the same thing.

Speaking of Kai...have you heard from him lately?

I wonder if he'll be in Seattle.
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2012, 11:14:15 am »

Speaking of Kai...have you heard from him lately?

I wonder if he'll be in Seattle.

Nope, haven't heard a word.  I hope he'll be in Seattle, but since we haven't heard anything form him, I kinda doubt it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2012, 11:19:40 am »
Re: Kai - I've been wondering the same thing.  Never met him but appreciated the advice.

Re: Fermenters - yes, I'm thinking about that and how much I can ferment/store at any one time.  I realize that without appropriate sized tanks, it's sort of useless.  Right now it's fermenters that are my problem.  I am thinking of buying sanke kegs for storing the finished beer.  I'm becoming disenchanted with cleaning cornies.  I realize that I'd then need some specialized cleaning equipment for them.  Since I'm starting from scratch and I've got lots of time to dream, I figured I may as well get started dreaming.  The reason I asked the question on size is so that I don't over do things in my enthusiasm so I welcome the reality checks.

Re: Major - I'd love to see some pictures of your smaller system.