Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mojito Mead?  (Read 17467 times)

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
Mojito Mead?
« on: June 06, 2012, 09:17:33 am »
I have seen some posts under search format in regards to Joe P's Mojito Mead?, but cannot seem to find a recipe for it.  Looking for some help.  Thanks in advance!

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: Mojito Mead?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 10:58:54 am »
I have seen some posts under search format in regards to Joe P's Mojito Mead?, but cannot seem to find a recipe for it.  Looking for some help.  Thanks in advance!
This should get you close:
One gallon of orange blossom honey, about a cup of fresh lime juice and water to make 5 gallons.  Ferment with sweet mead yeast (although I usually use ale yeast with my version).  Add mint in the "secondary" to taste.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 11:01:36 am »
One gallon of orange blossom honey, about a cup of fresh lime juice and water to make 5 gallons.  Ferment with sweet mead yeast (although I usually use ale yeast with my version).  Add mint in the "secondary" to taste.

Cool!  How much mint would you recommend adding in the secondary?  Thanks!

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 03:10:34 pm »

Cool!  How much mint would you recommend adding in the secondary?  Thanks!
Don't know, I didn't put any in mine.....Maybe blatz can weigh in on this.  If not, I have the recipe notes at home and can post later.
Homebrewing since 1990
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 05:02:03 pm »
Keep an eye on the pH of the ferment.  If it gets into the low 3s fermentation will slow, into the 2s and it will stop.  Lime juice is pretty acidic.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 07:00:31 pm »
Here is a note from Joe Peters.  I had tasted his mojito mead in a best of show round at a competition and really, really liked it, so I asked for the recipe.  I am pretty sure he's OK with my sharing it.
"The recipe was 15 lbs. of honey (I used wildflower), 4gals. Of water, 3/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice (the recipe called for key lime juice but I used Persian limes which I think gave it a more pronounced and tart lime flavor), 1/2 oz. pectic enzyme, 2.5 oz. tartaric acid, 2 oz. yeast nutrient and one smack pack of Wyeast sweet mead yeast.

I heated the water to 180 degrees and stirred in the honey and lime juice. I let it sit for about 20 minutes, chilled it and racked it into a carboy with the pectic enzyme, tartaric acid and yeast nutrient. I stopped the fermentation at 1.028 or so but I think it crept down a few more points than that.

When I made the mead, it was supposed to be a mojito mead so I racked it onto about 4 oz. of bruised mint leaves after the fermentation was complete. Unfortunately, I racked it off the mint leaves a bit too early and it never had quite enough mint character. After 1.5 - 2 years, the mint character had disappeared pretty much completely so I started entering it as a lime melomel."
Homebrewing since 1990
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 04:48:04 am »
It might be really obvious to most, but you'll need to bruise your mint to have any hope of getting flavor from it.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 07:47:48 am »
It might be really obvious to most, but you'll need to bruise your mint to have any hope of getting flavor from it.

In proper Mojito making terms, they call it 'muddling' :)
Joe

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 08:00:18 am »
In proper Mojito making terms, they call it 'muddling' :)

I've seen a lot of people just throw mint leaves into stuff and expect them to magically become minty. And to be pedantic, as is my wont, "muddling" is bruising with a stick. It doesn't really matter if you use a stick or not, as long as it gets bruised.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 10:16:02 am »
Below is a recipe for Mo-mead-o.  A club member, Mike Manning, won best of show at Valhalla mead only competition last year with this mead and it was made by Michael Fairbrother at Moonlight Meadery, called Mojo.

~5 gallon batch.

15# clover honey
Lalvin D-47 white wine yeast
zest of 2 limes (plain green limes, not key limes)
1-2 oz. mint leaves
yeast nutrient
yeast energizer.

I make a 1-qt yeast starter with some of the honey, a little DME and some yeast nutrient a few days in advance.

Heat 2 gallons water to 160F. Dissolve the honey, yeast nutrient and yeast energizer in this water then bring the temperature back to 160F and hold there for 15 minutes. Chill and transfer to ferementer. Add enough cold water to bring the volume up to about 5.5 gallons.

Allow this to ferment until it falls clear. Follow the standard staggered nutrient addition schedule and make sure you de-gas the must each time you add the nutrients.

When the mead is finished fermenting, rack to a secondary fermenter and add the lime zest and mint leaves. Sample the mead frequently until you like the way it tastes. Rack the mead into a tertiary fermenter and let sit until it falls clear again.

Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 10:27:09 am »
I was wondering about the pectin enzyme and tartaric acid additions in the first recipe.  I suspect they may be remnants.

Lime juice  and/or mint contain pectin?  In a no-boil recipe? 
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 10:46:07 am »
Below is a recipe for Mo-mead-o.  A club member, Mike Manning, won best of show at Valhalla mead only competition last year with this mead and it was made by Michael Fairbrother at Moonlight Meadery, called Mojo.

Thanks for sharing Dave...I'd like to try this recipe someday.  Looks like a winner to me.  :)
Ron Price

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 03:26:16 pm »
Thanks for everyone's help.  Can't wait to brew it!