Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Weyermann Floor-Malted Bo Pils Malt -- Suitable for Light German Lagers?  (Read 15844 times)

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
Just as a trivia:
Hana is a region in Moravia north of Olomouc.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI

Both Weyermann and Durst make Pale Ale malts.  I have never seen the variety mentioned.

Here's what the Weyermann website says
"The Weyermann® Bohemian Pilsner Malt, for example, is produced only from the Hanka barley variety, while the Weyermann® floor-malted Bohemian Pilsner Malt is produced only from Bojos or Tolar. These three varieties have great authenticity value because they are genetic descendants of the mid-19th-century Czech variety Haná, which also known as "Old-Haná Agro-Ecotype.” Haná was the barley in the first Pilsner mash, in 1842, and it has since become the foundation land race for hundreds of top-quality brewing barley varieties cultivated throughout the world today."

They also mention that they now produce an oak smoked wheat malt for making Gratzer!!!

I've used the floor malted pilsner for saisons...sunshine in a glass  :)

F

My comment was on the Weyermann MO malt that was in the conversation as it got sidetracked. If you read the comments I have used the Weyermann Floor Malted Bohemian malt. I have also used the regular Weyerman Bohemian malt.

We even stopped by the Weyermann maltings a month ago, but the "Fannshop" was closed due to an illness. That was disappointing, so we had to find Cafe Abseits to take care of that.  ;)

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
Tried my BoPils with 100% of this malt as the grist. Its fantastic! I will be using this malt a lot more in place of Weyermann's regular German Pils.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Jason,

Funny you should just post that.  I just kegged my Munich Helles.  It is this malt with 1/4# of CaraPils but tasted fantastic as well....

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Just bought another sack!
Dave Zach

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
I have read that this malt is also malted in Czech republic. Weyermann have bough a malting facility there. So this should be as authentic Czech Pilsner malt is it gets.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com