Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Peristaltic pumps, revisited  (Read 4919 times)

coastsidemike

Peristaltic pumps, revisited
« on: May 28, 2012, 05:31:48 pm »
One of my setup improvements this year was to add a pump such that I can recirculate and move wort without lifting wort. Based on comments in this forum (thank you), this is a prototype peristaltic pump:

(hoping this works, first time posting images)

As a guideline I DIY what I can and spend as little $$$ as possible.  This one is 5 skateboard bearings, 1" pipe connectors, pinch of aluminum, nuts & bolts: maybe $20 overall + scrap wood.  Drill and router speed control I had; it actually worked, lol.  It's all assembled with wingnuts to keep the build easy.  Just wanting something simple where I can recirculate the mash or move to boil kettle.

Seems like I gotta keep tension on the hose as it routes in & out of the pump as it gets rather soft when hot.  Any suggestions on how to accomplish this?  Curious if anyone's done something similar & can offer further advice, thanks.

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Peristaltic pumps, revisited
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 06:05:05 pm »
Pretty clever DIY.  Compression causes heat so while higher tubing compression makes the pump more efficient, it also causes more heating and softening/wear and tear on the tubing.
It is hard to tell from your pics, but I'm assuming you have a U-bend to the tubing.  If so, you'll need some sort of external clip or piece of plastic glued to the outer portion of the tubing (but not compressing the tubing) so it serves as an anchor.  You'll need two clamps, clips, or glued-on anchors and just enough tension that you have to stretch the tubing slightly when assembling it over the rollers when it is cold (since it loosens up when it warms up from warm wort and compression from the rollers.  Here's a pic to illustrate what I mean:

I recommend the 360 peristaltic pump design it is more efficient and you only need one roller (but can use more).  This one below is actually designed by a home brewer for his HERMS.

check out these sites:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/cake-pan-skateboard-wheel-bike-brakes-homemade-peristaltic-pump-279120/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peristaltic_pump

coastsidemike

Re: Peristaltic pumps, revisited
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 06:34:52 pm »
Thanks for the feedback.  No, I do not have a U-Bend on the tubing, it's just the tube being pinched between the wood cutout and the rollers.  The spacing on the rollers was not designed for accuracy, so I've got'm wrapped in with about 1/8" of duct tape to get the fit right.  I should be able to remove the duct tape and add the U-Bend & clamps to keep the tubing in place.

Thanks again Richard, I appreciate the help  :-).