Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry Hopping with Cacao Nibs  (Read 6833 times)

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
Dry Hopping with Cacao Nibs
« on: June 09, 2012, 09:17:37 am »
Anyone ever dry hopped with cacoa nibs?  I brewed 10 gallons of my stout a couple weeks ago, one of the recipes called for coffee and cacoa nibs in the boil, but I honestly didn't want 10 gallons of a coffee stout, so I held the coffee and nibs out.

I'm shooting for a nice coffee stout.  Will the nibs give me a coffee aroma/flavor if I dry hop with them?  I have 4 oz of them.  Or should I just dry hop with coffee and save the nibs for something else?

« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 09:19:08 am by liquidbrewing »
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: Dry Hopping with Cacao Nibs
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 09:45:19 am »
Anyone ever dry hopped with cacoa nibs?  I brewed 10 gallons of my stout a couple weeks ago, one of the recipes called for coffee and cacoa nibs in the boil, but I honestly didn't want 10 gallons of a coffee stout, so I held the coffee and nibs out.

I'm shooting for a nice coffee stout.  Will the nibs give me a coffee aroma/flavor if I dry hop with them?  I have 4 oz of them.  Or should I just dry hop with coffee and save the nibs for something else?
Four ounces of nibs in five gallons of stout is good.  I have been told to remove them after five days because they start to make some odd bitter flavors, but I have never experienced that myself.  They give more chocolate flavor and aroma than coffee flavor and aroma.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
Re: Dry Hopping with Cacao Nibs
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 10:08:03 am »

That is how I typically do it.  4oz/5 gallons. You can always add more later.  Just place 4oz. of nibs in a sanitized bag.  I generally leave them in based on taste.  I have made a porter where it took 7 days for the flavor to come thru.  3 days in a brown.  Initially the flavor is somewhat strong and bitter, but this generally smooths out.  I think you get more of a clean chocolate flavor with nibs, not coffee.  I use coffee beans if I want coffee flavor and aroma.  Never use the nibs or coffee beans in the boil.  You will get harsh astringent bitterness.  Ever tasted coffee after it has been boiled or sat in a hot pot all day long?