Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Accidently mowed over hops...  (Read 2269 times)

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
Accidently mowed over hops...
« on: June 05, 2012, 08:36:23 am »
Our lawnmower bit the dust last week, so my girlfriend had a company (actually, a friend that owns a lawnmowing company) mow the lawn for us.

I just put hops into the ground this year. They were getting pretty long, but I haven't built a trellis (they were sprawling into the lawn).

He mowed over them.

What do I do now? I know I wasn't going to get a good crop this year anyway, but can I still be hopeful that the roots will continue growing??
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Accidently mowed over hops...
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 08:44:43 am »
Our lawnmower bit the dust last week, so my girlfriend had a company (actually, a friend that owns a lawnmowing company) mow the lawn for us.

I just put hops into the ground this year. They were getting pretty long, but I haven't built a trellis (they were sprawling into the lawn).

He mowed over them.

What do I do now? I know I wasn't going to get a good crop this year anyway, but can I still be hopeful that the roots will continue growing??

My guess is you'll be fine.  I would clean up the bines that got cut.  That is, cut them off cleanly.  I'll bet within two weeks, youget some more sprouts. 

Some books on such about growing hops do say that when the first sprouts of the year get about a foot long, cut them to ground level, and wait for the next set of bines, and choose 2-4 of the best, and cut the rest to the ground.  And that's what I have been doing for a few years now, and I get more hops than I can use.  My homebrew club gets the rest.   

To dry them every fall, I take the screen off of my sliding door, put it between to sawhorses, lay out the hops, and put a fan blowing underneath.  I do this in my heated garage.  It takes about a full day to get them dry enough to vacumm seal and freeze.

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 08:46:24 am »
Yeah, they're fine.  They'll sprout again pretty fast.  In fact there were probably a bunch of sprouts already formed that had not made it to the surface yet.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 06:41:02 pm »
Yeah, they're fine.  They'll sprout again pretty fast.  In fact there were probably a bunch of sprouts already formed that had not made it to the surface yet.

+1

No worries.  :)
Ron Price

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 08:12:57 am »
I had a real nice bine going on a three-yr-old Magnum, and while weeding by hand I somehow managed to break it off.  Granted the weeds were a foot high (we hang bird feeders above the bed), but still it was a bonehead move.  The rhizome sent up another bine thats 8' long now.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO