Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Massive haul from trip to CO  (Read 19726 times)

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
Re: Massive haul from trip to CO
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2012, 12:58:08 pm »
Silver - I don't know why I was thinking gold. As for Sam Adams O-fest, it is my favorite widely distributed US-brewed O-fest (my top being mine - no distribution, except my garage, 2nd being Dry Dock's - but the brewer is now opening his own place so that may change).

Any idea what the brewer's new place will be? Drydock is my favorite small Denver brewery. I use to work not too far from there, so I'd get my brewing supplies and a pint or two there. Their Hefe was solid. Maybe the best commercial Hefe I've had. I don't think GABF medals mean a whole lot, but I can see why that one got a gold.

not sure of the new location but I believe it will be called Prost Brewing. I think he wanted to stay in the Aurora area.
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2012, 03:48:28 pm »
I stand by my comments on Funkwerk's regular saison, but their Brett Dream is really good. It has all of the complexity I felt was lacking in their regular saison.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2012, 08:51:36 pm »
Redstone.  A bit more west, and dropping off McClure, I always breathe a sigh of relief.
True, one could get thirsty over here. ???

Heh, nice selection there.  The beer run is awesome. 

Posting impressions is tough,
but knowing what you like is not.

Cheers.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2012, 06:33:35 pm »
Mikkeller Monk's brew - This is probably the best Quad-style beer I've ever had. It has a healthy amount of the caramel/raisin sweetness found in domestic Quads, but the carbonation and dryness keep it from being cloying, unlike almost every other Quad. It's like the perfect mix between a big, bold Quad and a balanced, digestible Trappist dark strong.

So far, this is the first new beer from the haul that I'm sad I can't buy again.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 06:40:33 pm by nateo »

Offline john f

• 1st Kit
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2012, 08:13:43 am »
I do like the Espresso Yeti.  8)

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2012, 09:09:18 am »
I do like the Espresso Yeti.  8)

At the Avery taproom like 4-5 years ago they had a keg of Mephistopheles that was "dry beaned" with a pound of coffee in the keg. It was heavenly. They called it 'Meph Addict'

Offline john f

• 1st Kit
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2012, 12:21:51 pm »
Yeah the Avery tap room is where it's at.

Stuff goes down there that you just have to be there for.

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2012, 12:41:41 pm »
Any idea what the brewer's new place will be? Drydock is my favorite small Denver brewery. I use to work not too far from there, so I'd get my brewing supplies and a pint or two there. Their Hefe was solid. Maybe the best commercial Hefe I've had. I don't think GABF medals mean a whole lot, but I can see why that one got a gold.

Bill's new brewery is indeed called Prost Brewing. It is located near the Highlands area of Denver near Lodo / Coors field, but on the west side of I-25 just up the street from Amato's Ale House.

Look for it to be open sometime this summer. I will be there when it does.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline GolfBum

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lakewood, CO
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2012, 12:35:54 pm »
Boulevard Saison-Brett is amazing stuff, glad to see they got a medal for that one.

Agreed, I bought a bottle of it to try a saison brett beer and I always keep my eye out for it at the store.

But to the OP about Crooked Stave, Persica is a very good beer from them. It's a peachy sour beer that I had at SourFest. It stood out to me as one of my favorites from the whole festival. Would be great on a nice summer day.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2012, 09:54:44 pm »
Funkwerk's Saison isn't the most exotic or interesting saison but it is a very good, straightforward saison. I really enjoy their wit and their table saison (though I forget the name). I'm looking forward to stocking up on some funkwerks on my trip to Colorado in August.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline kraftwerk

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2012, 10:54:00 pm »
Being from Colorado, I take these for granted. Yes, we have great beer here. Nice work on the Crooked Stave, Funkwerks and Great Divide. Oh, and Avery, of course. You probably covered my favorite local brews. Next time, be sure to pick up some Dry Dock! These guys are making some seriously tasty beer!

Funkwerks Tropic King will make you see the face of God if you drink it on a cool summer evening!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 10:56:16 pm by kraftwerk »
Beer is like music. I don't have a favorite. I'll take a well-made example of any style!

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2012, 10:33:29 am »
Being from Colorado, I take these for granted. Yes, we have great beer here. Nice work on the Crooked Stave, Funkwerks and Great Divide. Oh, and Avery, of course. You probably covered my favorite local brews. Next time, be sure to pick up some Dry Dock! These guys are making some seriously tasty beer!

Funkwerks Tropic King will make you see the face of God if you drink it on a cool summer evening!

The only beer I came across from Dry Dock was the apricot blonde but it was excellent. I'm definitely keeping my eyes peeled for more when I go back.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2012, 10:44:56 am »

The only beer I came across from Dry Dock was the apricot blonde but it was excellent. I'm definitely keeping my eyes peeled for more when I go back.

I'm lucky enough to live about 7 minutes from Dry Dock.  They make some great beer and everything I've had there has been really really good.  My wife loves their Apricot Blonde.  I really like their Pale Ale, the Vanilla Porter is ridiculously good and their Hefe is one of the best I've ever had.  Their Seasonal Tripel and Saisons are great! 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2012, 10:49:17 am »
I used to work a few miles from Dry Dock. My favorite "microbrewery" in CO for sure. I'd pick up some brew supplies at the Brew Hut next door, then have a few pints.

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2012, 10:59:50 am »
I used to work a few miles from Dry Dock. My favorite "microbrewery" in CO for sure. I'd pick up some brew supplies at the Brew Hut next door, then have a few pints.

Brew Hut is awesome and the staff there is great.  I get just about everything I need from them.  Every person that comes into town to visit us, we take them on brewery tours that always begins w/ Dry Dock and ends w/ Dry Dock.   
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg