Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is set to expire October 13, 2024, 08:19:18 am.

Author Topic: Holiday Brew  (Read 5593 times)

Offline mikeroni

• 1st Kit
Holiday Brew
« on: June 02, 2012, 09:29:47 am »
    I know we are barely into June but I am planning my Christmas beer.  Last year I did a brown ale with ginger, clove, all spice, molasses, and nutmeg.  This year I am looking to do a porter with cocoa nibs, mint and maybe a vanilla bean or two.  I have never brewed with cocoa nibs, mint or vanilla before.  My questions are when to add them to extract the right flavors and the right aromas, going for a chocolate chip mint ice cream feel.  I was thinking of adding 5 oz of nibs at knock out (5 gallon batch), half a bunch of mint, and one vanilla bean cut and scrapped.  In the secondary 3 oz of nibs and half a bunch of mint. Am I on the right path here?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Holiday Brew
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 10:45:24 am »
Mint can be pretty grassy (and overpowering if you're not careful). I'd suggest using an extract for the mint and tasting it in a small sample before you add it to the batch.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 10:55:22 am »
I'd recommend mint extract added at packaging.  Much easier to control the amount than adding fresh mint.  Actually, I'd recommend no mint at all, but it's your beer!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 11:08:46 am »
I would only add the nibs and the vanilla in the secondary, just like dry hops.  I wouldn't add the nibs to the boil or the wort, you may extract too much bitterness and astrigency (think boiling coffee). No experience with mint....

Offline hooter

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 11:29:57 am »
I agree with the above statement.  Add the nibs and vanilla to secondary.  Never brewed with mint so I'll leave that one to someone else.

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 03:26:06 am »
Do something to sanitize the vanilla bean (like soaking in vodka) if you put it in the secondary. They have lots of bacteria.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline mikeroni

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 10:39:04 am »
Thanks for the responses.  The powers that be/ brewing partner/wife have vetoed the whole mint idea.  Going back through our tasting notes the few beers that we have had with mint tasted horrible, so it’s back to the drawing board.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 02:30:50 pm »
Actually, I'd recommend no mint at all, but it's your beer!
I can't see it being good either but how do you explain this?

http://www.thebeerstore.ca/beers/bud-light-lime-mojito

Offline hooter

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 07:00:45 pm »
I can't see it being good either but how do you explain this?

AB up to their old antics of creating new products to take up more shelf space and keep their piss swilling customers happy. 

Good call on dropping the mint btw.  I've only had one beer with mint in it and it was nasty, and it was from DFH so that's saying something.

Offline mikeroni

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 07:41:23 am »
I am guessing that you are referring to the Black and Red.  That is pretty much what did it for us too.

Offline Rhoobarb

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 02:46:07 pm »
I've brewed this many times (and plan to brew it again soon) and found that the amount of vanilla bean and nibs is perfect:

http://free90free.com/peshchat/viewtopic.php?t=2258 

I've never sanitized the beans or the nibs and have never had a problem.  I guess it wouldn't hurt.

"Brewing beer to save money makes as much sense as buying a boat to cut costs on a fish dinner." -- Tim French

>^,,^<
Rhoobarb
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicken-City-Ale-Raisers/118689024850197

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 03:17:37 pm »
I have never sanitized cacao nibs, vanilla bean, coffee, or coconut before when adding to the secondary and have never had a sanitization issue.  Nothing wrong with making an extract out of vodka either.  Different strokes for different folks.