Author Topic: Cherries  (Read 16385 times)

Online dbarber

• Brewer
    • View Profile
Re: Cherries
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2012, 06:22:39 AM »
I made a BDS with sour cherries and brett.  Amazing beer, last year it took a BOS and a runner-up BOS.  I only used 1 lb per gallon, frozen and pitted.
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2012, 08:06:56 PM »
I made a BDS with sour cherries and brett.  Amazing beer, last year it took a BOS and a runner-up BOS.  I only used 1 lb per gallon, frozen and pitted.
I have 2 bottles of my brett BDS cherry beer brewed about 8 years ago.  It was one of my very best beers ever and set me on a path of experimentation. 
This past fall I did a Belgian blonde, racked it onto 12 pounds of bing cherries with a starter of Orval dregs.  It's got a very nice dry cherry hint to it, but not as much brett as I hoped
I'd really just rather be brewing in sunny Carlsbad New Mexico

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2012, 11:48:35 PM »
We had plans for cherries and food and drink this year. The 90F weather in March followed by frost/freeze has wiped out 90% of the pie (sour/tart) cherries here in Michigan (2nd for cherry production). It might be and expensive year for cherries. Lets all hope that there is a bumper crop of cherries in Washington.

The wife was talking to a woman from a local orchard that has started making hard cider two years back. Same story for the apples. They were trying to get cider apples from New England, but the weather did a number on the apples there too. Lets all hope there is a bumper crop of apples in Washington.
Well, most of the orchards are in eastern WA, and I believe so far so good.  I can say that my cherries and apples are doing really well, possibly even a bumper crop, but since I have one apple, one sour, and one sweet cherry, that's not going to go very far :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • View Profile
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2012, 06:34:53 AM »
Everyone seemed to have Bings in the STL Farmers' Market over the holiday weekend, but I didn't see any Rainier (which I like to have on hand).

Wasn't looking for sour cherries, but I didn't see much of them, if at all.

What are the seasons for sour and rainiers?
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2012, 07:00:26 AM »
The Mennonite stores around me start taking orders for Rainiers in July, and I believe they got them late August last year.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline erockrph

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2012, 07:06:19 AM »
The Mennonite stores around me start taking orders for Rainiers in July, and I believe they got them late August last year.

I got some Rainiers recently at my local supermarket, but they were pretty bland. I'm pretty sure they were from Cali. The Rainiers that are around in the mid-to-late summer are worth the wait.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2012, 11:12:33 PM »
We used Van cherries in a BDS and it turned out great - a lot of flavor in those cherries.  They're too soft for market though, so a guy went and picked them himself at a farm in eastern WA.  At that orchard they keep them as pollinators.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2012, 01:10:11 PM »
Never used cherries in a beer before, but I have a great wild beer (we'll call it a Flanders Red) that's begging for them!

When is the prime time to buy sour cherries?

I'm thinking I'll buy them from the farmers market, freeze, then thaw about 5 lbs and add to the beer.

Online morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Davis, CA
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2012, 01:11:35 PM »
Never used cherries in a beer before, but I have a great wild beer (we'll call it a Flanders Red) that's begging for them!

When is the prime time to buy sour cherries?

I'm thinking I'll buy them from the farmers market, freeze, then thaw about 5 lbs and add to the beer.

depending on where in the world you are, now through the end of june is cherry season (assuming northern hemisphere)

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2012, 01:17:51 PM »
I'm from Indiana - I think we get most all of our crop from Michigan.

There were a LOT of stands with Bings in STL, though. I don't know if they grow them in Missouri or if the farmers just all purchase from the north.

Online morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Davis, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2012, 01:29:28 PM »

There were a LOT of stands with Bings in STL, though. I don't know if they grow them in Missouri or if the farmers just all purchase from the north.

all those northern tier states are good for tart pie cherries which I think are ideal for everything except eating out of hand. but yeah, keep your eyes open at farmers markets etc. now is the time.

Online hopfenundmalz

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2012, 01:57:48 PM »

The tart cherry crop in MI was 90% wiped out by the March hot weather followed by the freeze.
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild, AHA Member, BJCP Certified
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Online morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Davis, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2012, 02:19:22 PM »

The tart cherry crop in MI was 90% wiped out by the March hot weather followed by the freeze.

that's right, I remember hearing about that. that is rough. Cherry pie will be at a premium this year

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2012, 04:42:49 PM »
I don't know if they grow them in Missouri or if the farmers just all purchase from the north.

I'm pretty sure they grow them here. Wineries have to use like 85% state-grown produce in their wines, and there are a fair number of cherry wines around. There are blueberry farms everywhere here, too. I don't know if that means anything for cherries.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Online dbarber

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2012, 06:29:50 AM »
Here in PA, they just started picking sweet cherries.  Sour cherries are usually picked from mid to late June.
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National