Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: insulating converted kegs for mash tun & HLT  (Read 5791 times)

Offline Matt B

• Cellarman
insulating converted kegs for mash tun & HLT
« on: January 25, 2010, 09:18:19 am »
I have some converted kegs I used as my mash tun and my hot liquor tank. I've been using the reflectix stuff to insulate them, as they do experience some temperature loss, especially during recirculation through the uninsulated counter flow chiller (heater?)

The reflectix I've been using works okay, but I get wort between the reflectix and the keg that gets funky after a while. And my HLT is close enough to the burner for my keggle that it eventually warps and shrinks and becomes ineffective, and I've got to rewrap, tends to be a pain. That and the duct tape doesn't hold up so well to the elements. So I'd like to do something a bit more permanent, and also try to do something with the CFC to insulate it as well.

One of the members did have his kegs sent off to a place to have a seriously large coat of bed liner put on them (I forget the member name, sorry..) and was wondering if anyone had tried anything else, such as spray or paint on bed liner that worked reasonably well, or a spray on silicone. Unfortunately, all the products I've found don't exactly list heat transfer or R ratings, since they're not really intended to be used as so-so insulators.

Otherwise, I'm going to be ordering a few different products and doing some experiments to see which ones work the best. Just hoping someone's already done the leg work here :)

Offline bob

• Conference
  • Cellarman
  • Prez for Life - Yeast Coasters - West Michigan
Re: insulating converted kegs for mash tun & HLT
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 03:43:53 pm »
I've been searching myself for kettle insulation. Something that can take a stray open flame.

Nansulate is an interesting insulating paint that can go up to 450 F.  http://www.nansulate.com/

Kiln insulation or kaowool, not cheap!

http://www.sheffield-pottery.com/SUPERWOOL-607-HT-BLANKET-8-lb-1-p/tcsw607ht.htm
http://www.baileypottery.com/kilns/kilnmaterials.htm

I'm still looking. Regular fiberglass will burn some if exposed to flame. If it has dried wort on it, then what?
Bob
Bob

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 05:28:29 pm »
firebricks!
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline Matt B

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 08:55:00 am »
I may have to try the insulating paint.

So far, I've tried 'permatex rubberized car under coating' .. it just rubs off. Useless. May stick better if the surface was prepped a bit more, but I don't think it's a good candidate. Didn't even do a temp loss test.

Tried spray on bed liner from duplicolor. From the baseline test from a plain old coke can, with a few coats of this applied (which turned out far more thin I would've expected) the temp loss was even *worse*. It stuck better to the can, but didn't really try to pry it off since I was so disgusted with the temp loss results.

I've got some silicone enamel spray that I had originally used for my burner cowl (that just burned off unfortunately) so I'll try that next, but I have a feeling it's also going to just peel off a bit too easily.