Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro  (Read 5909 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro
« on: May 20, 2012, 09:32:43 pm »
I'm generally a fan of Left Hand's beers, and there's been a lot of hype on their facebook page about the new milk stout nitro bottles, so I figured I'd give it a try. Color me underwhelmed, both with the nitro bottle and the beer itself. I gave a hard pour from about 6 inches above the rim of my 22oz weizen glass, and I did see a short cascading effect similar to a Guinness widget can, but it was faint and brief. I only ended up with about a quarter inch of head (although it does last forever). The mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, but I definitely attribute that to the oats and lactose more than the nitro.

I must admit, I can't really remember the last time I've had a beer billed as a Milk Stout. Flavor-wise, I can take it or leave it. While the sweetness is certainly not cloying, it is totally superfluous IMO. If this was brewed dry, it would make a fantastic oatmeal stout. As it is, the sweetness doesn't really do anything for me. Maybe this style just isn't my tastes, so YMMV.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline bigchicken

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lincoln, NE
Re: Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 06:24:36 pm »
Of all the milk or sweet stouts I've had, this is definitely my least favorite. This beer just doesn't stack up to other sweet stouts like Tallgrass Buffalo Sweat.
TJ Cook

On Deck: Planning
Fermenting: Nothing
In bottles: It's All About MEAD!

Offline arsenal610

• Cellarman
    • The Beer Inspector
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 11:34:33 pm »
How does it compare to the non nitro version? 
That's if you've tried it before.   

Anybody know if the nitro version is available in Florida?

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 01:00:22 pm »
their (left hand) nitro is smoother, less harsh (CO2), and the sweetness is cut a bit, i prefer the nitro to the regular milk stout
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.