Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Found A Decent Laid Back Summer Beer  (Read 7309 times)

Offline arsenal610

• Cellarman
    • The Beer Inspector
Found A Decent Laid Back Summer Beer
« on: June 02, 2012, 12:03:09 am »
I have always been a fan of their Sunset Wheat beer, but I finally gave Leinenkugel Summer Shandy a chance this summer.
It just had a simple lemon taste that wasn't overwhelmingly sweet like some other Lemon flavored beers I've tried.
I would easily pick this over Samuel Adams Summer Ale.

Here's my short(2 min) video review on it if anybody is interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp-AUuHAiqk

Offline bigchicken

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lincoln, NE
Re: Found A Decent Laid Back Summer Beer
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 11:22:19 am »
I have yet to find a shandy that I can stomach. To me, it's terrible. The combination of lemonade and beer just doesn't work for me.
TJ Cook

On Deck: Planning
Fermenting: Nothing
In bottles: It's All About MEAD!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 11:35:37 am »
I haven't had the Leinenkugel Summer Shandy yet. However I do love me a good shandy and often I'll add some lemonade or limeade to cheap lagers for a refreshing summer drink.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 11:39:12 am »
Some company in the midwest just started importing Stiegl. They make a grapefruit Radler that's pretty good. It's too sweet, but it's one of the better shandy-type beers I've had.

I can't in good conscience buy anything from Leinenkugel. Their Sunset Wheat is easily the worst beer I've ever had, including every infected beer I've ever tasted.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline Delo

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 01:07:49 pm »
In Germany I tried radlers which are pretty much the same thing. It was the first time I had anything Shandy like.  The ones made with lemonade are good. The ones made with cola, not so much.  A friend let me try Leinenkugels and it was pretty good.  I think I would still prefer making them myself....but I would probably just have beer.
Mark

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 11:24:05 pm »
The Aravada Beer Co has two variations of a shandy one with a wheat and lemonade and one with their pilsner, the wheat is better and not to shabby. I have had the Leinenkugels shandy and it was pretty good. I like most of their beers as well
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 06:37:22 am »
Their Sunset Wheat is easily the worst beer I've ever had, including every infected beer I've ever tasted.

+1
"Well, the Mexicans got a saying - what cannot be remedied must be endured."

-Barbarosa

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 06:45:33 am »
Their Sunset Wheat is easily the worst beer I've ever had, including every infected beer I've ever tasted.

+1

I take it you guys don't like Fruity Pebbles? That's exactly what the Sunset Wheat reminds me of. I'm not a huge fan, but it's not awful to me, and at least it's beer. I'd rather serve Sunset Wheat than wine coolers at a summer cookout.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 07:11:02 am »
I take it you guys don't like Fruity Pebbles? That's exactly what the Sunset Wheat reminds me of. I'm not a huge fan, but it's not awful to me, and at least it's beer. I'd rather serve Sunset Wheat than wine coolers at a summer cookout.

Yeah, from the beer's description, I was not expecting Fruit Pebbles. I hate fruity pebbles, but I hate being tricked into drinking fruity pebble beer even more. I have less problem with wine coolers, but they're not pretending to be beer. I actually enjoy Sangria, which is basically a wine cooler.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 03:09:03 pm »
I'd like to try one, but I'm afraid to buy a whole six-pack and then hate it.