Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Food blogs?  (Read 3616 times)

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
Food blogs?
« on: May 31, 2012, 08:22:21 pm »
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Food blogs?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 11:28:30 am »
Big fan of Serious Eats myself, although it's been a while since I caught up on my food blog reading.

Also a big fan of the kitchn: http://www.thekitchn.com/
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 08:43:23 pm »
Kenji is the only guy I regularly read on SeriousEats. Marc at NoRecipes is usually my go-to if I can't think of something to eat for dinner. His Kimchi Jigae recipe is so insanely good. We probably make it every other week or so.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 10:52:35 am »
I like Kenji's approach on sausage grilling:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/05/the-food-lab-the-best-way-to-grill-sausages.html?ref=title

I've found an additional approach where they'll initially get placed on top of the other meats grilling until they warm up and then they get direct heat towards the end. So I don't put the sausage on until everything else is nearly finished. About 20 minutes.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 11:21:42 am »
Much like brewing, in cooking it seems technique matters much more than recipes. I hate food blogs that just have a recipe and a finished dish. I love Kenji's blog because he shows you how to do it, how not to do it, and some of the reasoning behind it.

I also love Good Eats, Test Kitchen, and Cook's Country for the same reasons. 

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 11:25:03 am »
I agree that technique is much more important than any single recipe. With technique(s) you don't need a recipe really. Just available ingredients.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 10:59:48 am »
I only use recipes when baking or when making a dish that I haven't made before. After that, I just run with my own palate and imagination.