Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: one controller, two freezers  (Read 3143 times)

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
one controller, two freezers
« on: June 05, 2012, 08:38:44 am »
I've been running out of room in my chest freezer for long term storage.  I have a single stage controller on it.  I got another freezer off of craigslist last weekend to expand, and thinking I will just hook both up to the same controller, set at 45 degrees.  Of course the temp probe will only be in one, but the freezers are the exact same. 

Any problems I'm not thinking of?  It seems it should work fine. 

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
Re: one controller, two freezers
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 09:16:03 am »
I would think you'd be fine. Theres no compressors involved but I run 2 brewer heat pads off of one controller with no issue. They cycle on and off at the same time.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 09:53:31 am »
It'll depend on what loads are in the two.  i'd control off the one with more stuff in it, just because this one will be more stable.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline harbicide

• Cellarman
  • Barkeeper's Friend will not passivate stainless.
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 10:14:04 am »
I'm just thinking out loud...  If you are only controlling one freezer, the second freezer will only come on when power is provided to the first.  So, if it warms faster for any reason, but only comes on for as long as the first freezer is running, it may not cool down enough.  Or maybe vise-verse is the case with it cooling faster than the first would.  Thus it may not be as controllable as the first.  It is worth a try.
On Tap: 10 yr old Barleywine, Porter, Vienna Lager

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 10:23:50 am »
I'm just thinking out loud...  If you are only controlling one freezer, the second freezer will only come on when power is provided to the first.  So, if it warms faster for any reason, but only comes on for as long as the first freezer is running, it may not cool down enough.  Or maybe vise-verse is the case with it cooling faster than the first would.  Thus it may not be as controllable as the first.  It is worth a try.

I thought the same thing and that may very well happen. But I dont think it'd be a huge deal for just beer storage purposes. Unless he plans on fermenting in the second freezer...wouldnt recommend that.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline harbicide

• Cellarman
  • Barkeeper's Friend will not passivate stainless.
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 10:45:34 am »
It would be interesting to use an indoor/outdoor temperature device in the second freezer, which would at least show you the temperature extremes.
On Tap: 10 yr old Barleywine, Porter, Vienna Lager

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 02:58:24 pm »

I thought the same thing and that may very well happen. But I dont think it'd be a huge deal for just beer storage purposes. Unless he plans on fermenting in the second freezer...wouldnt recommend that.

I have a third chest freezer for fermenting.  And that one has dual controller with a heater.  That changed really helped my beer along. 

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 11:23:03 pm »
I would buy another controller Mic.  You risk either freezing some beer or keeping it warm.  Better to be warm.

You could put a collar on each and connect them with a fan so the air is shared, stabilizing both of them.  But a second controller is the easiest and cheapest solution for keeping them both stable.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 12:36:29 am »
You'll need to take measurements. Two indoor/outdoor thermometers should give you enough info whether or not to trust it following it over the course of days. Load up the freezers the same and you'll quickly find out if one cools differently and enough to harm the beer.

That's the interim advice. I suggest following Tom's suggestion on purchasing an additional controller.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline fvb

• 1st Kit
Re: Re: one controller, two freezers
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 04:34:55 am »
...You could put a collar on each and connect them with a fan so the air is shared, stabilizing both of them.  But a second controller is the easiest and cheapest solution for keeping them both stable.

I'd shell out for a second controller but the collar with a fan is a brilliant!

~Sent through this great digital frontier using my Dinc.

Offline mmitchem

• Brewer
  • Suffolk, VA
    • http://www.barfclub.org
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 05:34:16 am »
I agree that adding a second controller might save you some headache and heartache down the road. I f you are anything like me, you might see fit to repurpose that chest freezer down the road (in the near or distant future) as a second fermenting (one for ales, one for lagers) chamber or a chamber for lagering beers. In either case you want to be able to control what is going on in that freezer independently.
Michael P Mitchem
Beer and Ale Research Foundation (B.A.R.F.)
AHA Member since 2011