Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Peaches anyone?  (Read 3133 times)

Offline rbowers

• Assistant Brewer
Peaches anyone?
« on: June 05, 2012, 08:16:05 pm »
Any ideas for a good style to brew with peaches.  Just brainstorming a bit here to try and get some ideas going down the line.  Was down at LHBS  and someone mentioned an APA  which caught my attention.  A light Belgian blonde was another idea.  I'm not sure how an IPA recipe would match up with the fruit. I don't know of many commercial examples.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Peaches anyone?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 09:19:55 pm »
Everything I have read and heard says they are very difficult to brew with and that the flavor is hard to maintain through the finished beer. Supposedly apricots are the better choice.

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 10:09:09 pm »
There was a fairly recent Zymurgy that had a cover article all about fruit brewing and had some great recipes.  I would go for a hoppy peach Saison, myself.
Dave Malone
The Greater Denver Yeast Infection

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 11:00:37 pm »
I just bottled a mango peach saison.  2lbs each of mango and peach pureed into secondary.  I can taste the mango, but the peach is subtle if detectable at all.  That said, the beer is awesome. :)

Offline kraftwerk

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 12:53:52 am »
I just bottled a mango peach saison.  2lbs each of mango and peach pureed into secondary.  I can taste the mango, but the peach is subtle if detectable at all.  That said, the beer is awesome. :)

I'm planning a hoppy apricot wheat. How many pounds of apricot puree would you recommend for a 5.5 gal batch? I want the flavor to be apparent but complementing the hop bitterness and aroma (think Dogfish Head Aprihop without the IPA part.) Thoughts?
Beer is like music. I don't have a favorite. I'll take a well-made example of any style!

Offline andrew000141

• Assistant Brewer
Peaches anyone?
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 06:03:13 am »
I believe there was a recent "recipe of the week" that was a peach beer, might wanna check that one out
Fermenting:
Cherry melomel

In Kegs:
Saison
Irish Red
Thanksgiving Cider
Rye Pale Ale
IIPA
Ayinger Maibock clone
Moose drool clone

Bottles:
Mead