Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Why a Good Bar Is Essential to Sustainable Communities  (Read 4021 times)

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
Why a Good Bar Is Essential to Sustainable Communities
« on: June 05, 2012, 02:33:03 pm »
http://www.theatlanticcities.com/neighborhoods/2012/05/why-good-bar-key-sustainable-communities/2148/ “if ever there was a business you should be walking to (and from) rather than driving, it’s your bar."

One of the things I really miss about living in CO was being able to get drunk and walk home. The closest bar to me now that I enjoy drinking at is an hour's drive away.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline brushvalleybrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Centre Hall, PA
    • Brush Valley Brewer
Why a Good Bar Is Essential to Sustainable Communities
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 03:58:29 pm »
I do love a good smelly saloon. :)
In a humble log cabin off an unregarded back road, somewhere, deep in the heart of Pennsylvania’s hill country, we find our intrepid hero — the Brush Valley Brewer.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: Why a Good Bar Is Essential to Sustainable Communities
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 04:00:54 pm »
I happen to live in walking distance of some great bars.

Which is nice.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 04:37:03 pm »
The Third Place is so essential not only for sustainability but for community health. It doesn't have to be a bar but for many people that is an ideal third place. and a good one is great. I have not had a bar that I like to go to for a long time but when I did it was wonderful.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 05:03:36 pm »
In Denver there was a great coffee shop that served good beer about six blocks from my apartment. There were a couple grocery stores in walking distance, and like a dozen great liquor stores in walking distance. It was fantastic.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 02:54:35 am »
There's a guy who's a bit of a drunk who happens to have some money. He opened a bar in our village, and pretty much everybody hates it, because it's basically an excuse for the owner to get drunk and empower the town alcoholics. I would love for him to get booted so I could open up a real pub, and not a s***hole. We don't have a bakery or a pharmacy, but we do have the equivalent of the state archives and a huge park/museum. People are always asking where to get food, and it's basically money waiting to be earned.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 08:29:34 am »
There's a guy who's a bit of a drunk who happens to have some money. He opened a bar in our village, and pretty much everybody hates it, because it's basically an excuse for the owner to get drunk and empower the town alcoholics. I would love for him to get booted so I could open up a real pub, and not a s***hole. We don't have a bakery or a pharmacy, but we do have the equivalent of the state archives and a huge park/museum. People are always asking where to get food, and it's basically money waiting to be earned.

are there zoning rules that only allow one pub?
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 09:09:26 am »

Basically, yeah. "License IV" and each departement is only granted a certain number, they're like taxi medallions, INCREDIBLY expensive.
----

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 11:18:42 am »

Basically, yeah. "License IV" and each departement is only granted a certain number, they're like taxi medallions, INCREDIBLY expensive.

interesting, so it's easy to get permits to make beer hard to get permits to sell beer. well, consider my fingers crossed for you phil.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 05:40:23 pm »
At least when you get one of those licenses, it'll be hard to lose it!

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 06:51:36 am »
To sell beer in a bar, yeah.

But in all honesty I haven't looked super close into the laws, it's possible it's easier.
----