Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bottled when I should have racked again??  (Read 4259 times)

Offline ellen

• 1st Kit
  • Coronado, CA
Bottled when I should have racked again??
« on: July 22, 2012, 10:36:08 am »
I started a peach ginger mead in Oct 2011.  I racked it into the secondary a month later.  I left it in the carboy to age and in May I sorbated it because I wanted to add some additional juice to bring up the peach flavor.  I added the juice in June.  I guess I should have looked more closely at the mead but I bottled it last week--July 15th. After awhile while bottling, I realized that there was a lot of sediment in the bottom of the carboy.  So I should have racked it again before  bottling--right?
So, now I can see that white sediment (yeast?) building up in the bottom of the bottles.  Can I dump the mead back into a carboy, rack, and bottle again?  I used flip top bottles so it wouldn't be hard to do that. What are my options?  Thx

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: Bottled when I should have racked again??
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 11:07:13 am »
Be as careful as yiu can to eliminate air pick-up when gently pouring the bottles.
It may be interesting to see if the bottles are carbonating, too.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 02:49:40 pm »
Some mead is lightly carbonated or more effervescent. You might keep a few to the side and compare them to the still version.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 09:49:11 am »
I wouldn't due to oxidation risk. But you could pour the mead back in to a bucket (gently), then sulfite it to stave off oxidation, rack and rebottle. Definately keep a few bottles to compare and see if the risk was worth the improvement.

But I'd just mark it down under 'experience - knowledge aquired just after the moment you needed it"
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline ellen

• 1st Kit
  • Coronado, CA
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 01:48:15 pm »
Thanks for the input. So my options are:
1. Do nothing
2. Gently empty into a bucket, sulfate, rack till it's clear

What would the downside be to doing nothing?  The mead has a nice clear color to it but it just has some sediment--white powder dusting the bottom of the bottle--a little pile maybe--size of a pea. 
Thx

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 02:01:48 pm »

1. Do nothing

The only downside is that you have a pea-sized powder dusting and you'll get a slightly cloudy pour at the end of the bottle.  Who cares?  Appearance is just a pretty-factor.

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 02:29:04 pm »
If you just plan on drinking it at home, then no problem doing nothing.  Just be careful pouring (pour slowly, don't tip the bottle excessively, watch closely for sediment) and you should get clear glasses.

If you are going to ship it someplace, you'll likely get cloudy mead, which people tend to not like as much.

Consider a final fining before packaging using something like Super-Kleer or Sparkolloid.  Those both tend to brighten up a mead considerably. 
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong