Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: UPS returned my box of NHC beer  (Read 10226 times)

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
UPS returned my box of NHC beer
« on: June 06, 2012, 04:49:36 pm »
I just got a call from the shipping place that UPS inspected my box and they returned it because of unauthorized shipment of alcohol. >:( Luckily I have enough time to resend it, but does anyone have any advice for how to ship it without it getting returned?

Offline mmitchem

• Brewer
  • Suffolk, VA
    • http://www.barfclub.org
Re: UPS returned my box of NHC beer
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 04:53:58 pm »
FedEx FedEx! I have never had a problem with them :) Everytime I do it I tell them it is a yeast sample. They are good with that.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 05:00:33 pm by mmitchem »
Michael P Mitchem
Beer and Ale Research Foundation (B.A.R.F.)
AHA Member since 2011

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 06:29:50 pm »
UPS inspected your box?  WTF?
I know that the post office has laws against shipping alcohol, but for ups it is just policy.  Why should they care?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 06:45:12 pm »
Mine was just delivered today from NH.  I print the labels at home and send them from work.  I've never had one returned.  Glad you have time to resend.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • ALES Club
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 07:03:08 pm »
3 boxes of yeast samples safely arrived in Seattle from Regina, SK, Canada yesterday via Fedex.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 07:10:59 pm »
Damn, that sucks. It's probably a fluke since thousands of homebrew beer shipments must be shipped each year using UPS and Fedex and we rarely hear of shipments being returned. Still, that doesn't help you. Send it again via Fedex and make sure there are no reasons to inspect the box (clicking bottles, markings on the box, etc).
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 05:03:11 am »
Why not just call it soda? Do they actually open the bottles?
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 06:31:23 am »
Why not just call it soda? Do they actually open the bottles?
I thought of that - they can't open the bottles and would have to take your word for it. However, the beer competition entry sheets and bottle labels would probably give it away.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 08:18:02 am »
Yeah, the strange thing was that none of the bottles were open so they really couldn't have known that it was beer for sure. I guess I was kind of dumb to ship the bottles in a box that had 12 beer glasses in it originally, and had pictures of beer on the outside.  :-[

I talked to a friend last night who does shipping for a big winery in town, and she said that you should be able to ship alcohol, as long as you pay extra for an over 21 receiving signature. Anyway, she said she would ship them for me today, which will get them there tomorrow.

Offline hubie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 11:17:20 am »
Was this a call from UPS, or did you have the UPS Store ship it for you?  I'm just curious where it was opened.  Was it after UPS picked it up, or before?

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 11:43:17 am »
They said it was after UPS picked it up. It had some UPS stickers on it that send return to Postal Annex because of unauthorized shipment of alcohol. I kind of wonder if the people at the store opened it, though. The woman there kind of gave me a hard time.

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 02:07:23 pm »
They said it was after UPS picked it up. It had some UPS stickers on it that send return to Postal Annex because of unauthorized shipment of alcohol. I kind of wonder if the people at the store opened it, though. The woman there kind of gave me a hard time.
there is certainly some weird things here.  I've shipped beer from my local UPS Store, told them it was beer, and they had no problem whatsoever. 

Curious.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 04:55:14 pm »

are you sure they didn't try to mail it through the USPS? I know the UPS store near my work accepts mail for the USPS. postal annex is a USPS term isn't it? wouldn't it my shipping annex or something if it was UPS?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 08:56:19 pm »
...are you sure they didn't try to mail it through the USPS? I know the UPS store near my work accepts mail for the USPS. postal annex is a USPS term isn't it? wouldn't it my shipping annex or something if it was UPS?

My thoughts exactly.  I've never heard of problems shipping beer via UPS...I've done it many times.
Even some of the 'beer of the month' things I've received as gifts came delivered via UPS. 
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2012, 09:47:59 pm »
I've been competition organizer for a BJCP Sanctioned event. A couple of entries arrived damaged. One was packed really badly, and the box was saturated and stinking of beer when UPS delivered it. That didn't seem to bother them, and it was obvious what it was.

I think it's really the luck of the draw. If you get some T totaling prude you're screwed. Good reason to enter early and often.

Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"