Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: forgot to clean my mash tun cooler  (Read 10798 times)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: forgot to clean my mash tun cooler
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2012, 08:45:45 am »
Stanky grain is just about one of the nastiest things I can imagine.

What about beer that smells like vomit?

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=12011.msg152095#msg152095

Couldn't help myself.

Any dampness in a closed cooler quickly smells nasty.  The cooler our milk gets delivered in MUST be left open when not full of fresh milk or it just gets rancid.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Al Equihua

• Assistant Brewer
  • A la Salud!
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2012, 10:00:18 am »
uhhh  ;D it's shure is a funny thread just like Euge said, i almost got a picture of that "Zoo" playing around in those muddy grains...eeeoowwwwww haha, my wife shout to me to get rid of that inmediatily and do not throw it in our garbage container...
but im pleased knowing that i can use it for more brews

Al
Al Equihua

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2012, 02:26:09 am »
HA! Nope, you're not the only one. I've forgotten about it for a week before, but it only takes a day or two to start getting nasty. I once had a mouse or something die inside the frame of an old car I once had. The smell is similar.

Oh, edit for relevant reply: The smell took a while to go away, but I never had a problem with any batch after that and still use the same equipment.

Offline Al Equihua

• Assistant Brewer
  • A la Salud!
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2012, 09:34:12 am »
HA! Nope, you're not the only one. I've forgotten about it for a week before, but it only takes a day or two to start getting nasty. I once had a mouse or something die inside the frame of an old car I once had. The smell is similar.

Oh, edit for relevant reply: The smell took a while to go away, but I never had a problem with any batch after that and still use the same equipment.

it is nice to hear that theoman,... uhh, i must admit this is the second time i forgot, but the last time it was only a couple of days,..., i think is a very good example of the smell, a dead mouse! haha ;D
Al Equihua

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2012, 09:42:07 am »
It's a smell you never forget.

can top that.  when i was in the navy i baked a salmon in casserole type dish.  left the leftovers in said casserole dish on the counter.  then went to work for well, a while.  came home.  ugh.,
Don AHA member

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2012, 11:01:54 am »
I have done this a few times before and a good soak in oxyclean followed by a scrub with a sponge always cured it. I have been using my smaller cooler-tun for years now and it still works great.

Offline oceanselv

• 1st Kit
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2012, 09:04:24 am »
I've done the same thing and had a small amount of mold form in the cooler.   After cleaning with oxyclen, I used a light bleach solution to clean and disinfect the cooler.  Worked out well and  still using the same cooler, 2 years later.
I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer...Abraham Lincoln

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy...... Ben Franklin

Offline FirstStateBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Delaware
    • First State Brewers
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2012, 03:07:32 pm »

it is nice to hear that theoman,... uhh, i must admit this is the second time i forgot, but the last time it was only a couple of days,..., i think is a very good example of the smell, a dead mouse! haha ;D
Well, what's the verdict?  Did you get the smell out?
Scott B

Offline Al Equihua

• Assistant Brewer
  • A la Salud!
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2012, 10:05:45 am »

oh yes!, finally after two days, two oxy clean washes and two star san spray treatments finally is back in bussines!, thanks to all for your advices, next weekend i"ll be brewing again

gracias,.....totales
Al
Al Equihua

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2012, 10:24:11 am »
I've done it more than once.  Usually a week at the most but to be totally honest, I dumped it, hosed it out and brewed.  No problems at all.  In fact, I've won gold medals with a kolsch that was brewed right after this.  I really don't believe that there are any perceptible aromas/flavours that come through in the final beer given the boiling etc that happens after.

I try not to leave grain in it but when it happens, I really don't worry at all.  So, I'm not surprised your wash routine worked.  Once when it was really bad, it got a shot of bleach and water and I worried more about the bleach than I do about the grain.  Not suggesting you do this but it's not the end of the world by a long ways.

Offline FirstStateBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Delaware
    • First State Brewers
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2012, 12:01:23 pm »
oh yes!, finally after two days, two oxy clean washes and two star san spray treatments finally is back in bussines!, thanks to all for your advices, next weekend i"ll be brewing again

gracias,.....totales
Al
Super!  I'm glad you didn't listen to my first comment!  LOL! 
Scott B

Offline Al Equihua

• Assistant Brewer
  • A la Salud!
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2012, 01:03:48 pm »
thanks Scott, also apreciate your comment, but his time i follow the majority speaking  ;D
good luck for me haha
Al Equihua