Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2nd Annual Delaware Battle of the Brews  (Read 8444 times)

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
2nd Annual Delaware Battle of the Brews
« on: January 06, 2012, 07:42:45 am »
For the second year, the Delaware Department of Agriculture and Delaware State Fair will host the Battle of the Brews on July 21. This will again be an AHA/BJCP sanctioned event. Join us from 5-8pm for a public event with sampling from commercial Delmarva breweries and wineries, a 'People's Choice' award for the commerical beer/wine, music, and presentation of competition awards.

Details, printable flyers, etc. can be found at http://battleofthebrews.webs.com, but here are the most important things to remember: You must register at http://www.delawarestatefair.com between April 2 & June 1, 2012 and then deliver your beer (in person or by mail - see website) by July 10. To maximize your beer karma, make sure you use plain bottles labeled with BJCP Bottle ID forms (attach with a rubber band please).

Cash prizes will be awarded for Best of Show winners and category winners will be honored with fame, notoriety, (and ribbons).  And we’ll have and craft beer education and sampling activities going on during judging.

Prizes -
Best of Show - $250 and free National AHA Competition entry
Second BOS - $150
Third BOS     - $50

The response to last year's competition was great with over 200 entries! Also several hundred participants turned out during the competition for free beer sampling from 3 Delaware breweries (Dogfish Head, Fordham/Old Dominion, and Twin Lakes). The local homebrew shop (Xtreme Brewing) also poured samples and the craft beer bloggers from Fermented Artistry came to talk to participants. We also had a homebrewing demonstration the following day in the Department of Agriculture's building, which has a demonstration kitchen. We brewed a State Fair Pale Ale.

The Delaware State Fair submitted the 2011 Battle of the Brews competition to the International Association of Fairs and Expositions competition for agricultural and competitive exhibits and won third place in its size division for ‘New or Unique Competitive Exhibits.’
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 07:51:40 am by mtnrockhopper »
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: 2nd Annual Delaware Battle of the Brews
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 07:57:03 am »
I'm hoping for an even better turnout this year. I'll be directing the judging for this awesome competition. Any judges interested in judging please contact me at reprice_88@hotmail.com.

Plenty of time to brew some great beer for this prestigious cometition. Fire up the kettles folks!  :)
Ron Price

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 09:17:41 am »
The Delaware State Fair submitted the 2011 Battle of the Brews competition to the International Association of Fairs and Expositions competition for agricultural and competitive exhibits and won third place in its size division for ‘New or Unique Competitive Exhibits.’

wait, so there is a competition for best competitions? that is so meta!
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 09:48:24 am »
wait, so there is a competition for best competitions? that is so meta!

Yeah, try explaining it to people --- So ... they entered our competition, IN a competition ... for competitions ... BRAIN HURTS!!
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 07:55:23 am »
We have a date now - July 21. The public event will be from 5-8pm with awards at 7pm. Local craft breweries and wineries will be pouring samples for those attending - who can vote for their favorite commercial beer/wine to win a "Peoples' Choice" award.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 07:15:09 am »
I'm bumping this up to remind everybody that online registration is now OPEN!! Registration closes on June 1st, though you'll have until July 10 to submit your beer. Don't delay!
AHA Member since 2006

Offline FirstStateBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Delaware
    • First State Brewers
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 07:38:46 am »
I'm bumping this up to remind everybody that online registration is now OPEN!! Registration closes on June 1st, though you'll have until July 10 to submit your beer. Don't delay!
Last year I entered all 6 brews I had on tap.  I knew several had no chance of winning, but it only cost $5 per entry and I wanted to support the competition.  I ended up winning a 2nd place ribbon for my pumpkin ale.  That officially makes me an "award-winning" homebrewer!   ;D
Scott B

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 07:45:02 am »
We had 200 entries last year.  I'm anticipating a 50% increase this year.  I'm judge director again this year, so anyone interested in judging should shoot me a pm or email me at reprice_88@hotmail.com. Thanks!  :)
Ron Price

Offline FirstStateBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Delaware
    • First State Brewers
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 07:49:49 am »
We had 200 entries last year.  I'm anticipating a 50% increase this year.  I'm judge director again this year, so anyone interested in judging should shoot me a pm or email me at reprice_88@hotmail.com. Thanks!  :)
I assume you are recruiting QUALIFIED judges.   ;)
Scott B

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 09:52:31 am »
We will also be recruiting stewards, Scott. Terry and I are the head stewards and will need 6-10 others to help. Let us know if your interested.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 10:38:16 am »

Yes. That goes without saying.  ;)
Ron Price

Offline FirstStateBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Delaware
    • First State Brewers
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 11:59:52 am »

Yes, cause I'd be happy to drink beer all day!  LOL!
Scott B

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 12:29:45 pm »

Yes, cause I'd be happy to drink beer all day!  LOL!

:)
Ron Price

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2012, 09:11:53 am »
Only one week left! Online registration closes on June 1.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline FirstStateBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Delaware
    • First State Brewers
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2012, 09:36:20 am »
I'm going to have to enter brews before having tasted them this year.  All the kegs of my good beers are about to be kicked!  LOL!
Scott B