Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sunflower seeds?  (Read 4651 times)

Offline andrew000141

• Assistant Brewer
Sunflower seeds?
« on: June 07, 2012, 11:28:57 am »
Wondering if anyone has done anything with these? The idea just came to me today. I think itd be kinda gross but I've never tried it so i cant say it is lol. Maybe it'd work in a brown ale? I'm presuming that you would only use the inside and not the shell.
Fermenting:
Cherry melomel

In Kegs:
Saison
Irish Red
Thanksgiving Cider
Rye Pale Ale
IIPA
Ayinger Maibock clone
Moose drool clone

Bottles:
Mead

Keep your nose out of trouble and no trouble will come to you

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Sunflower seeds?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 11:30:34 am »
What do you hope to get from them?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline andrew000141

• Assistant Brewer
Sunflower seeds?
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 11:34:58 am »
Well I always felt like they had a slight nutty flavor so maybe they would impart that because I know peanuts kill head retention so that not really an option for that flavor.
Fermenting:
Cherry melomel

In Kegs:
Saison
Irish Red
Thanksgiving Cider
Rye Pale Ale
IIPA
Ayinger Maibock clone
Moose drool clone

Bottles:
Mead

Keep your nose out of trouble and no trouble will come to you

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
Re: Sunflower seeds?
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 11:36:30 am »
taste some sunflower oil and that will give you a hint of what it'll taste like. Keep in mind you would need to roast the seed so the flavor of the oil won't be exactly what you would get in the beer...I think I would just stay away from this one...but if you do it, report back.
Phoenix, AZ

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 12:23:35 pm »
Peanuts have to be deoiled before use because the high oil content, but I know Urban Chestnut uses finely-milled chestnuts in their Wing Nut beer. It has head retention and is pretty good!

I think sunflower is another high-oil content nut, since its pressed for the oil. Since they don't make sunflower butter (at least that I know of), I don't think you could get the oil out.

Maybe a toasted rice would give you a similar effect? It would have to be one that was already more flavorful than most, or you'd thin out the beer without enough flavor contribution.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 12:56:03 pm »
i just don't see this getting where you want to be.  season your seeds and put them in a bowl. eat a few between sips of homebrew (or gulps)
Don AHA member

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 01:17:59 pm »
Peanuts have to be deoiled before use because the high oil content, but I know Urban Chestnut uses finely-milled chestnuts in their Wing Nut beer. It has head retention and is pretty good!
I think sunflower is another high-oil content nut, since its pressed for the oil. Since they don't make sunflower butter (at least that I know of), I don't think you could get the oil out.

Maybe a toasted rice would give you a similar effect? It would have to be one that was already more flavorful than most, or you'd thin out the beer without enough flavor contribution.

chestnuts are actually fat free, or nearly so.

they do make sunflower butter but I am still not sure this is a good idea. it's worth trying of course, perhaps if you used them in the mash the oil would be less of an issue?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 09:55:27 am »
How bout this: get some raw, shelled, unsalted seeds, roast them in the oven, when they get to where you want them, spread them out on paper towels, put another paper towel on top then weigh that down to help soak up as much oil as possible. Grind and mash or possibly add to secondary.
Phoenix, AZ