Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: San Francisco Bay Area Club Forming  (Read 16534 times)

Offline retrocarmelapple

• 1st Kit
San Francisco Bay Area Club Forming
« on: February 03, 2012, 09:41:03 am »
Hi,

We are in the process of forming a San Francisco Bay Area homebrew club. We're starting to get names / emails of folks interested in being part of the club. If interested, please sign up at SanFermenters.com.

Our mission: To provide a fun, interactive and educational outlet for San Francisco Bay area home brewers. We provide an outlet for advice and feedback on what you brew from peers and professional brewers alike. We are a club that not only brews together, but hosts brewing challenges among the membership. We are a club that shares our love of home brewing through group ingredients purchases, club member only brewery tours, club competitions, group brews and other activities.

Cheers!

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
Re: San Francisco Bay Area Club Forming
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 10:24:25 am »
Love the name and logo
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 08:20:40 pm »
This is terrific!
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 11:13:57 am »
Does anyone know if the San Andreas Malts are still operational or are they mostly dormant?
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 06:12:18 pm »
Does anyone know if the San Andreas Malts are still operational or are they mostly dormant?

I tried contacting them a couple of times after I relocated back to SF in late 2009. I never heard back from a human being, though once in a while I would get a group email which suggested some people who had known one another a long long time were getting together for a time-honored tradition of some sort. The website seems to have not been updated since early 2007. The newsletter faded out in early 2003. The site does link out to a blog. but if you were a newcomer, the posts wouldn't really suggest "we are a homebrew club."

So I think it's fair to say that some of the original members may still be around and may still get together from time to time, but the group *as* a homebrew club by any reasonable definition of the phrase is dormant.

There are definitely plenty of homebrewers in the city, including some who meet in a club-like manner, and I would wager the vast majority of them (and none of the newer/younger brewers) have never heard of the San Andreas Malts.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 01:11:39 am »
That's a shame.. The Malts were one of the primary drivers in the effort to legalize homebrewing on the Federal level.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 07:44:23 pm »
That's a shame.. The Malts were one of the primary drivers in the effort to legalize homebrewing on the Federal level.

Yeah... one thing with small associations, when they fold, it can be hard for them to acknowledge that they ARE folding, so "succession planning" doesn't happen. It would be great if the Malts' history was passed along to the folks starting a new club so the new pioneers had some sense of what (and who) went before them.

Back in the 1970s I met someone who gave me a homebrew he had made. It was pretty good (though the last time I had homebrew for about 30 years, for no reason than I just never met another homebrewer). I wish I had a time machine to go back and see who that long-forgotten person was. Could have been one of the San Andreas Malts!
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline muddypuddle

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 01:38:19 pm »
have you checked out: http://sfhomebrewersguild.com/

not sure if they are a homebrew club or a collection of homebrew clubs or both.  i run the sirwisa brewing collective- its a collaborative of local brewers who put on events together, exchange ideas for beers, etc.  we do regular beer garden home brew competitions at the brewtruc beer gardens.  next up is april 14th!

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 09:10:23 am »

not sure if they are a homebrew club or a collection of homebrew clubs or both.  i run the sirwisa brewing collective- its a collaborative of local brewers who put on events together, exchange ideas for beers, etc.  we do regular beer garden home brew competitions at the brewtruc beer gardens.  next up is april 14th!

Thanks, I haven't seen that, I may check out the Elizabeth Street event if it's not full. Have not heard a peep from the San Fermenters. Another thing about clubs: easy to dream up, harder to run...
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline lornemagill

• Assistant Brewer
  • Austin/Round Rock, TX
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 10:32:18 am »
I am surprised there isn't one already.  I began brewing in SF but now live in Austin.  I still use a lot of stuff I bought from Griz.  Cheers

Offline powellavenuebrew

• 1st Kit
    • Powell Avenue Brew
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 04:12:59 pm »

The Guild is great. Chris is working hard to turn it to a complete club, memberships and everything. The tasting events at Pi Bar are amazing and the meet the brewer events look like they are going to be a blast.
Powell Avenue Brew
www.powellavenuebrew.com

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 11:16:16 am »

The Guild is great. Chris is working hard to turn it to a complete club, memberships and everything. The tasting events at Pi Bar are amazing and the meet the brewer events look like they are going to be a blast.

Yesterday's event at Pizza Inferno was great. And I met other lady brewers! yay!
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member